To provide advice and guidance on the development of strategies, and identification of challenges and opportunities, in relation to cultural planning and heritage, arts and cultural opportunities, sporting and recreational opportunities, community pride and local identity including local history, and community involvement which encourages a sense of belonging within the LGA.
Advisory Committees are established under Part Q of City of Newcastle’s Code of Meeting Practice to provide advice to the elected Council on matters of strategic significance, and to provide advice to Council on implementation of relevant matters aligned to the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan. Advisory Committees may make recommendations to Council or a Committee of Council, but no functions are delegated to them by City of Newcastle.
Membership to this Committee includes:
- Cr Carol Duncan - Chairperson
- Cr Andrea Rufo - Deputy Chairperson
- Cr Kath Elliott - Councillor Member
- Lord Mayor, Cr Nuatali Nelmes - Councillor Member
- Nick Rendell, Office of Sport - Stakeholder Member
- Jenny Moody - Department of Education - Stakeholder Member
- Ann Hardy, University of Newcastle - Stakeholder Member
- Michelle Frazer - Community Member
- Katherine McLean - Community Member
- Chris Dunstan - Community Member
The Lord Mayor may attend any Advisory Committee meeting as a voting member. Community representatives of Advisory Committees are not paid and serve on a voluntary basis.
If more applications from suitable community representatives are received than positions, offers of membership will be made to the top applicant/s and the remainder placed on an eligibility list.
Responsibility of Advisory Committee Members
Committee members are expected to have the time needed to understand the Committee’s business papers and attend Committee meetings and provide advice and feedback on matters brought before the Committee.
Committee members are required to follow applicable policies and procedures and must:
- Conduct themselves in accordance with the Code of Conduct (pdf)
- Declare and manage Conflicts of Interest in accordance with the Code of Conduct (pdf)
- Maintain confidentiality and not disclose confidential or private information
- Not use information gained through membership of the Committee for a private benefit for themselves or any other person
- Understand the Media Policy (pdf) and not speak to the media or members of the public on behalf of Council, the Advisory Committee or working party.
We have adopted Guidelines for Meeting Practice
(pdf). These Guidelines provide additional detail on responsibility requirements.
Meetings will be held at 5.30pm in the City Hall, 290 King Street, Newcastle on the following dates:
Meeting 1 - Tuesday 3 September 2019
Meeting 2 - Monday 4 November 2019
Meeting 3 - Tuesday 7 April 2020
Meeting 4 - Tuesday 7 July 2020
Terms of reference
Download the Terms of Reference