Newcastle Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee
Established to address the requirements of the NSW Floodplain Development Manual.
Objectives and Responsibilities
Principally to advise and assist the elected Council in the development and implementation of a City-wide Floodplain Risk Management Plan in accordance with the principles of the Manual, so that the elected Council and its officers have properly served the community and are indemnified under the Local Government Act.
- Fulfil Council's obligation to manage flood risk in the Newcastle LGA in accordance with the principles of the NSW Floodplain Development Manual
- Assist the elected Council with the implementation of the Newcastle City Wide Floodplain Risk Management Plan and the Wallsend Floodplain Risk Management Plan for the Newcastle Local Government Area (LGA)
- Provide a link between the local community and Council
- Act as both a focus and a forum for the discussion of social, economic, environmental implications of flooding, as well as risk to life and property issues
- Ensure that all stakeholders (often with competing desires) are equally represented
- Consider and make recommendations to Council on appropriate development controls to reduce flood risk
- Supervise the collection of data and monitor the progress and findings of studies being undertaken for flood risk management
- Provide input into known flood behaviour as part of any flood study
- Identify management options and provide input into their consideration as part of the implementation projects
- Identify implementation strategies for the Management plan
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of the Management plan during and after its implementation
- Coordinate and monitor the public education programs essential to the long term viability of the Management plan
- Coordinate with catchment management boards, emergency management planning and other advisory bodies.
Pending Council approval.
The Commitee meets twice annually as a minimum or more frequently as required.
The Committee's membership comprises one Councillor representative, agencies, groups and/or individuals.
Cr Jason Dunn (Councillor representative)