Council Elections

Page hero image

Local Elections of Councillors and the Lord Mayor are normally held on the second Saturday of September in every 4th year. Note, due to the proposed amalgamation of Councils, the September 2016 election date has been deferred and the likely date is now September 2017.

What happens if I don't vote?

You will most likely receive a $55 fine. Council does not issue the fines and cannot overturn them. More information about penalties for not voting is available on the  NSW Electoral Commission website.

Residential Roll

All electors residing in the Newcastle City Council local government area, who are enrolled on the Commonwealth/State electoral roll, will be included on the roll for the election. If you have moved to Newcastle since the last election, you will need to update your enrolment to vote in the by-election.

To check your enrolment details, or to obtain an enrolment form, visit  or phone 1300 135 736.

Resident enrolment forms are also available from any Australia Post office.

Non-Residential Roll

If you own property (or are a rate-paying lessee or occupier of rateable land) within the Newcastle City Council Local Government Area that is not your primary residence, you (or a nominee) may be entitled to enrol as a non-residential owner of rateable land.
Claims for inclusion on the non-residential roll must be made on the prescribed application forms, which will be available from Council's offices or website (about 3 months) prior to a relevant election.

2012 Election Report

In accordance with Clause 393A of the Local Government (General) Regulations 2005, the following report is provided in relation to the 2012 elections for Newcastle City Council.