In May 2015 Newcastle’s elected Council resolved to develop a Town Centre Master Plan for Wallsend. This became part of the Local Centres Public Domain Renewal Program, which commenced in 2016.
Under the program, Wallsend Local Centre was audited and assessed as a high priority for renewal.
The objectives of the Wallsend Local Centre Public Domain and Traffic Plan (PDP) include:
Flooding issues associated with Ironbark Creek are outside the scope of this project and are being dealt with as part of a separate project.
- Improved safety for pedestrians, cyclists and traffic
- Reduced crime and improved safety from crime
- Improved connectivity, accessibility and wayfinding
- Improved amenity and human comfort (seating, shade etc)
- Environmental improvements such as increased tree canopy
- Improved aesthetics and design
- Improved business environment.
Community consultation was undertaken in November 2016 to inform the Wallsend PDP. The draft plan was exhibited to the public from 3 – 31 May 2017.
Issues were raised regarding proposed changes to Cowper Street and the location of the bus stop on Bunn Street. As a result, further traffic plans for Bunn Street and Cowper Street were exhibited from 12 March – 11 April 2018.
The Cowper Street and Bunn Street traffic plans were incorporated into the final Wallsend Public Domain Plan,
which was adopted by the elected Council in May 2018.
The proposed improvements are intended to benefit residents, businesses, property owners and users of the centre. The project will include:
- Renewal of aging infrastructure, including roads, footpaths, lighting and drainage
- Improved presentation through provision of new good quality infrastructure with integrated trees and landscaping
- Making Cowper Street a 40km/hour High Pedestrian Activity Area between Bulkara Street and Newcastle Road
- Upgrading Cowper Street, including the Kokera Street, Nelson Street and Newcastle Road intersections
- Creating safe and direct connections by providing missing sections of shared path in line with the Newcastle Cycling Strategy and Action Plan 2012
- Relocating the northbound bus stop on Bunn Street away from Merindah Childcare Centre to address problems with antisocial behaviour affecting children in the play area.
- Providing free WiFi on Nelson Street.
Detailed design and construction of the local centre will be delivered through a ten-year rolling program. Timing for the first stages of construction is as follows:
Stage 1: Relocation of the northbound bus stop on Bunn Street from outside Merindah Childcare Centre, to outside Wallsend Library, is scheduled to commence on site late 2018/19.
Stage 2: Construction of traffic signals at the intersection of Cowper Street and Kokera Street is scheduled to commence on site early 2019/20.
View the Wallsend Local Centre Public Domain Planning Process Flow Chart (pdf)