Road Rehabilitation and Resurfacing
City of Newcastle has allocated $23.5 million on road rehabilitation and resurfacing in 2018/19. This includes a $9 million civil works program to upgrade Newcastle's bridges and $10 million on road reconstruction, including Frederick Street in Merewether, and Beresfield and Carrington local centres.
Road rehabilitation projects
- Frederick Street, Merewether - Berner Street to Watkins Street
Road resurfacing works
- Anderson Drive, Tarro - Woodberry Road to Central Avenue
- Watkins Street, Merewether - Coanne and Berner Street intersection
- Laneway Tinonee Road to Coolamin Road, Waratah
- Laneway Little William Street, Stockton - Mitchell Street to Church Street
- Gipps Street, Carrington - Elizabeth Street to Hargrave Street
- Harvard Close, Jesmond - Heaton Street to end
- Tarro Recreation Area, Tarro
- Beresfield Swimming Centre car park
- Hereford Street, Stockton
- Minmi Road and Maryland Drive, Maryland
- Horseshoe Beach Road, Parnell Place, Scott Street, Wharf Road and Zaara Street, Newcastle East
- Sandgate Road, Shortland
- Stockton Swimming Centre car park
- Tillie Street, Wallsend
- Wood Street, Adamstown
- Elizabeth Cook Drive, Rankin Park - Chollerford Drive to Grandview Parade – Delayed
- Hunter Close, Rankin Park - Delayed
Kerb and gutter works
- Hunter Street, Newcastle - Worth Place to Auckland Street
- Hunter Street, Newcastle - Merewether Street to Darby Street (north side only)
- Scott Street, Newcastle - Perkins Street to Watt Street (south side only)
- City Road, Merewether - Alice Street to Allworth Street
Local Centre renewal projects
- Young Street, Carrington - Cowper Street North to Victoria Street - under construction
- Lawson Avenue, Beresfield - Beresford Avenue to Railway Street - under construction
- Mitchell Street, Stockton - King Street to Crown Street - in design
- Llewellyn Street, Merewether - Dent Street to Merewether Street - in design
- Cowper Street, Wallsend - Kokera Street to Newcastle Road - in design.
There is also funding for replacement of street signs, line marking, ordinance fencing and street furniture.
Road surface preservation works include crack sealing, asphalt patching, resealing and surface rejuvenation treatments. If you would like more information about our re-sealing program and why we do it, please visit the Re-sealing Your Road
Road surface rejuvenation works are planned for Fletcher.
Projects being investigated for future road programs
- Mathieson Street, Carrington - Elizabeth Street to Coe Street - not commenced
- Samdon Street, Hamilton - Tudor Street to Bibby Street - reconstruction - investigation commenced
- Howell Street, Kotara - Park Avenue to Joanne Street - reconstruction - on hold pending related projects
- Park Avenue, Kotara - Howell Street to Seaview Street - reconstruction - on hold
- Pride Avenue, Lambton - Chilcott Street to Barellan Street - reconstruction - on hold
- Allowah Street, Waratah - Platt Street to end - reconstruction - detailed design commenced.
The Australian Government's Roads to Recovery Program
This year the Australian Government has provided funding under the Roads to Recovery Program for local road works at Minmi Road in Wallsend and Frederick Street in Merewether.