Council will make every effort to ensure disruptions to traffic, businesses, pedestrians and residents are minimised during works.
Temporary Road Closures
Council wishes to advise the following streets will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic to conduct the event listed below. The closures are in accordance with Roads Act, 1993, Part 8, Division 1.
Hunter Street between Auckland and Darby Streets - Newcastle Light Rail
From Tuesday 12 September Hunter Street will be closed to traffic between Auckland and Darby streets while Newcastle Light Rail is built. Footpaths will remain open.
This map (pdf) outlines the construction zone and shows where nearby parking is available. Hunter Street is expected to be reopened to traffic between Auckland and Darby streets by the end of 2017.
More information on Newcastle Light Rail and changes to the area is available on the Revitalising Newcastle website or view Newcastle Light Rail frequently asked questions (pdf).
To get in touch with the Precinct Managers, Business Advisor, or for general enquiries about the Newcastle Light Rail please call 1800 684 490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Civil works associated with the Newcastle 500 and Council renewal works have prompted traffic alterations in Newcastle East. These will change as work progresses. Parking in affected areas may be impacted for the duration of the works. Detailed updates of short-term closures and changes are provided in Supercars Australia's Build Notices, which are posted on our Newcastle 500 East End Renewal page
- Watt Street is closed to traffic from King Street to Church Street. On-street parking is unavailable
- Nobbys Road and Parnell Place are open only to one-way traffic but temporary road closures should be expected during work hours. Access to Fort Drive is still available
- One-way traffic direction has been reversed along Fort Drive
- Horseshoe Beach Road will be temporarily closed for upgrade from 27 August. Alternative access to Horseshoe Beach via new track section through Camp Shortland
- Pedestrian access to Nobbys Beach via Nobbys Road is limited. An accessible pedestrian route to Nobbys Beach via Shortland Esplanade should be used as an alternative.
- Nobbys Beach car parks are closed to allow for road upgrade works.
Shortland Esplanade, Newcastle
Shortland Esplanade in Newcastle East will close between Ocean Street and Watt Street from Monday 6 March to allow for the upgrade of the southern section of Shortland Esplanade. At this time Shortland Esplanade will also become one-way northbound between Ocean Street and Zaara Street.
Traffic heading south on Shortland Esplanade from Nobbys will be directed onto Zaara Street. Pedestrian access along the western footpath of Shortland Esplanade will be maintained between Ocean Street and Watt Street, as directed by onsite signage.
Full vehicle access will be restored as soon as possible, but the closure is expected to last up to six months. Resident access will be maintained during this period. More information.
On Monday 9 October 2017, works will occur in Shortland Esplanade/Zaara Street to facilitate the installation of the new road surface. During these works, Shortland Esplanade (between Ocean Street and Zaara Street), Zaara Street (between Shortland Esplanade and Scott Street) and Ocean Street (between Pacific Street and Shortland Esplanade) will be closed. Traffic diversions will be in place.
Road Rehabilitation and Resurfacing
Due to Council road work minor traffic disruptions may be experienced at the following locations - find out more