Council will make every effort to ensure disruptions to traffic, businesses, pedestrians and residents are minimised during works.
Temporary Road Closures
Council wishes to advise the following streets will be temporarily closed to vehicular traffic to conduct the event listed below. The closures are in accordance with Roads Act, 1993, Part 8, Division 1.
Frederick and Helen streets, Merewether
From Tuesday 17 April 2018, Frederick Street will be closed southbound between Helen Street and Berner Street with detours via Watkins Street to John Parade.
Helen Street will be closed at Watkins Street, with detours southbound via Watkins Street to John Parade.
Resident access will be available northbound along Frederick Street.
These road closures will be in place for approximately eight weeks to enable road and drainage renewal works in Frederick Street.
ANZAC Day Road Closures
Saturday 21 April 2018 - 3pm to 7pm
- Memorial Drive, The Hill/Bar Beach, between Parkway Avenue and High Street
- High Street, The Hill, between Memorial Drive and Anzac Parade
- Anzac Parade (eastbound only), The Hill, between High Street and Kitchener Parade.
Wednesday 25 April 2018 - 4am to 8am
- Horseshoe Beach Road and Pasha Way, Newcastle East, including adjacent parking areas
- Wharf Road, Newcastle East, between Watt Street and Nobbys Road.
4am to 6am
- Nobbys Road, Newcastle East, between Wharf Road and Stevenson Place
- Fort Drive, Newcastle East, between Nobbys Road and Parnell Place
- Shortland Esplanade, Newcastle East, between Nobbys Road and Moroney Avenue.
8am to 12noon
- Hunter Street, Newcastle, between Newcomen Street and Scott Street
- Wolfe Street, Newcastle, between Scott Street and King Street
- Perkins Street, Newcastle, between Hunter Street and Church Street
- Brown Street, Newcastle, between Hunter Street and Church Street
- Crown Street, Newcastle, between Hunter Street and King Street
- King Street, Newcastle, between Wolfe Street and Union Street
- Darby Street, Newcastle, between Hunter Street and Laman Street
- Auckland Street, Newcastle, between King Street and Laman Street.
Hunter Street between Aukland and Merewether Streets
Hunter Street will be closed to traffic between Auckland and Merewether streets from Tuesday 10 April for about six weeks. During this time, we will be installing light rail tracks at the intersection of Auckland and Hunter streets, continuing construction of the Civic light rail stop and completing important road, utility and footpath upgrades in the area. The construction notification outlines more information about the work.
Keep up to date with light rail construction works and how to get around the city.
Corlette Street, Cooks Hill
As part of the drainage improvement project in Corlette Street, Council will be closing Corlette Street between Parkway Avenue and Kenrick Street, and Kemp Street between Union Street and Bruce Street to through traffic from 7am on Monday 23 April through to 6pm on Tuesday 24 April. The closure will be in place overnight on Monday 23 April.
Residents only access will be permitted and all other traffic will be diverted for the duration of the work.
Newcastle Light Rail - work in progress
From Tuesday 12 September Hunter Street will be closed to traffic for the construction of the light rail. Footpaths will remain open. See Work in progress for the latest updates.
More information on Newcastle Light Rail and changes to the area is available on the Revitalising Newcastle website or view Newcastle Light Rail frequently asked questions (pdf).
To get in touch with the Precinct Managers, Business Advisor, or for general enquiries about the Newcastle Light Rail please call 1800 684 490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Road Rehabilitation and Resurfacing
Due to Council road work minor traffic disruptions may be experienced at the following locations - find out more