Planning for the next stage of the Bathers Way project is ongoing. Currently we’re focussing on Bather Way – Newcastle Beach
As this is the most complex stage and includes upgrades to Newcastle Beach between Newcastle Surf Life Saving Club and King Edward Park the project is divided into two phases:
- Stage 1: The Bathers Way Newcastle Beach and Recreational Facilities
- Stage 2: Newcastle Community Hub (subject to funding)
As part of the community and stakeholder engagement in 2018 we held drop-in sessions so individuals could review the proposed concept designs and talk with us about what was planned. At the sessions, information was provided about the planned upgrades and we provided opportunities to discuss the scope of the project.
Along with the drop-in session we undertook a survey. You can read about the engagement in the Key Documents on this webpage. Overall we heard that the position of the skate bowl was not strongly supported.
Having carefully considered what we heard from stakeholders and the community we've revised the design. You're now encouraged to review the new concept design and again share your thoughts.
Our aim has been to establish an updated design which successfully incorporates the skate bowl inside the existing seawall alignment, whilst maintaining the intended community benefits of the project to:
- complete an important section of the Bathers Way from King Edward Park through to Shortlande Esplanade
- replace and improve existing seawall, incorporating bleachers consistent with coastal engineering advice
- provide a skatepark that is fit for purpose
- improve infrastructure and amenities (shade, shelters, exercise equipment, kiosk and landscaping).
Comments are open via the poll below and online form below until the end of August.
Do you support or oppose the revised concept design?