If you need a publication which is not held by Newcastle Region Library, our interlibrary loans service can arrange for material to be loaned from another library service on your behalf. To use this service you must have a current membership with Newcastle Region Library. Read our FAQs below, check our catalogue
or submit your request now
Interlibrary loans services will cease on Wednesday 22 December 2017. Any requests received after this date will be processed after Wednesday 3 January 2018.
What can I request on interlibrary loan?
- Non-fiction books not held by Newcastle Region Library which are more than two years old
- Fiction titles that are out of print
- Microform reels from the National Library of Australia to be used within the library
- VHS film recordings
- Copies of journal and newspaper articles
- Copies of information or chapters from motor manuals
- Copies of information or chapters from other resources.
If the item is recently published, consider submitting a purchase suggestion
What cannot be requested on interlibrary loan?
- Fiction still in print
- Music CDs
- Junior materials
- Ready reference material
- Non-fiction published in the past two years
- Material that is currently held in our collection.
Is there a charge?
Charges apply to all interlibrary loan requests. These charges are generally:
- $11.20 from a reciprocal library
- $21.40 from a non-reciprocal library
Interlibrary loan staff will advise you of any additional costs before proceeding with your request.
How long does it take?
The length of time an interlibrary loan can vary for each request. Urgent requests can be allocated a 'priority' or 'express' status, however, additional costs apply for these levels of service. When the item arrives it will be sent to the branch nominated by you on the request form and library staff will contact you.
How long can I keep the item?
The loan period is determined by the supplying library, it is generally from two to five weeks. Extensions may be available and are at the discretion of the supplying library. Contact interlibrary loan staff before the due date if an extension is required as overdue fees apply for late items. Some items may only be viewed within the library building, the interlibrary loan's officer will advise you if this is the case before proceeding with your request.
How do I make a request?
Material can be requested by completing an interlibrary loan request form
or ask at your local branch library.
For further information, or to renew your interlibrary loan contact:
P: 02 4904 3326