Use comparison slider to see Newcastle now and how it could look in the future.
Our Newcastle Smart City Strategy 2017 - 2021 (pdf) is an award-winning strategic planning document that will guide our city through collaboration towards a smart and innovative future.
We consulted with all three levels of government, the community, educational and research providers and business and industry sectors in the development of the Newcastle Smart City Strategy to ensure it is a shared vision.
Our aim has been to develop a roadmap for creating a smarter and more innovative Newcastle and Hunter Region, and to maximise opportunities in sectors including technology, advanced manufacturing, the digital economy and the creative industries.
The strategy includes a range of actions that will improve liveability, sustainability and economic diversity, develop local innovation, build international profile and attract talent and inward investment. It will help ensure our future city has effective and integrated public transport, nurtures a creative and vibrant community and features best-practice energy and water efficiency.
The Newcastle Smart City Strategy encompasses a range of objectives which are fundamental to its success:
- Identify collective vision and principles to guide Newcastle as a smart and innovative city
- Identify strategic themes and actions for enabling Newcastle as a smart and innovative city
- Review, collate and integrate existing work from a variety of sources that is relevant to Newcastle and the Hunter Region as a smart innovative city
- Engage with key partners, stakeholders and the general community
- Identify relationships with existing and upcoming revitalisation and renewal projects.