The suburb is a residential area situated in the centre of Newcastle, providing easy access to all areas of the city. The suburb is home to the John Hunter Hospital and has a small commercial centre of its own.
According to the 2006 Census in New Lambton there were 9,236 people in 4,207 dwellings (in 2001 there were 9,052 people in 4,224 dwellings).
According to the 2006 Census in New Lambton Heights there were 1,793 people in 615 dwellings.
View Larger Map
Sport and Recreation Facilities
New Lambton is home to parts of Blackbutt reserve, which provides walking tracks and picnic areas. Other parks in the area include, George McGregor Park, Regent Park and Novocastrian Park, which have picnic and children’s facilities.
Go to park facilities and locations for more information about sport and recreation facilities in Newcastle.
New Lambton has a higher than average population of 0-5 year olds and therefore childcare is important. Such facilities include, Blinky Bill Child Care Centre, New Lambton Children’s Early Education Centre and New Lambton Public School after hours care.
New Lambton Library is on Regent Street in the commercial area of the suburb. Visit the library for more information about libraries in Newcastle.
Five schools are located in the area. New Lambton Heights Infants school, New Lambton Public School, New Lambton South Primary, New Lambton South Infants and St Therese’s Primary.
The bus service through the area is of good quality. Main Roads like Lambton and Russell Road provide easy access to transport options. Go to The Newcastle and Hunter Bus Timetable for bus times. Call 131 500 for train timetables and information.
New Lambton’s commercial centre runs along Regent Street and Lambton Road. The area provides a supermarket and mixed business facilities including banks and cafes. The suburb is also within travelling distance to Westfield Kotara.
Five years after Lambton was pioneered a new mine was opened adjacent to the original site and named New Lambton. A railway line was built between the two, which is now the site of Lambton Park. By the end of 1869 there were 100 houses, two churches, some stores and several hotels. By 1880 there were 1500 residents and the area was known as a thriving village. New Lambton was gazetted a municipality 9/1/1889.
The largest development in the area was a Woolworths shopping centre built in 1964, the first regional shopping area in Newcastle.