The suburb of Stockton is located across the harbour, opposite Newcastle city. The area is an affordable residential suburb and a popular holiday destination.
View Larger Map
The Newcastle Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2012 Maps
To understand the Newcastle LEP 2012 both the written document and maps that make up the LEP must be reviewed. Links to the maps, relating to this suburb, can be found on the right hand side of this web page. The maps are also available on the official NSW legislation website in connection with the Newcastle LEP 2012. This information is also available by purchasing a S149 Planning Certificate for the parcel of land.
Sport and Recreational Facilities
Stockton is surrounded by the ocean and a number of parks, providing many recreational activities. Pitt Street Reserve and Griffith Park are linked by a cycle way and provide some picnic areas. Other facilities in the suburb include a skate ramp, a swimming centre, tennis courts, ovals and the Ballast Ground, a large park on the coast. The Stockton Beach Tourist Park attracts tourists to the area and provides limited recreational activities.
Go to park facilities and locations for more information about sport and recreation facilities in Newcastle.
Stockton Childcare Centre and Stockton School Kids Fun Club Association are the two services in the suburb.
Stockton Library is located on King Street but is open limited hours. Visit the library for more information about libraries in Newcastle.
Stockton Primary and St Peter's Primary School are located in Stockton. The closest high school is Newcastle High, across the harbour.
Stockton is accessible by ferry and road. Ferries run approximately every half-hour making this the most convenient way to travel from Newcastle to Stockton. Go to the Ferry Timetable for more information.
A small commercial centre is located on Mitchell Street in Stockton. However, the main shopping outlets close to the suburb include the CBD or the Mayfield shopping centre.
Stockton has often been called the first suburb in Newcastle. It was originally known as Pirates Point after a gang of escaped convicts who had seized a boat were wrecked there in 1800. The area became privately owned by industrialists and the southern end of the peninsula was subdivided for residential purposes. Ship building became the main industry and by 1880 the area was a town of 1000 people. The suburb was boosted by the opening of the Stockton Colliery in 1884 and Stockton Council was introduced in 1889.
The isolation of the area was changed in 1971 with the opening of the Stockton Bridge. The bridge introduced a new freedom of access between Newcastle, Stockton and Port Stephens and brought about the demise of the vehicular ferries which had taken traffic across the harbour since the 1860's.
Tel: 02 4974 2000