"The Bathers Way is an iconic part of the Newcastle lifestyle, giving access to our beautiful beaches, and providing an important venue for both exercise and relaxation." Mark Richards
What is proposed?
The Bathers Way (42.3 kb) connects Newcastle's five main beaches from Merewether Ocean Baths to Nobbys Beach. Up to 500 people an hour already use the path in some locations. Upgrading the Bathers Way is the community priority for revitalisation of the Newcastle coastline (Newcastle Coastal Revitalisation Strategy Masterplan, Newcastle Voice Survey 2010).
The Bathers Way will be upgraded to provide comfortable pedestrian and cycle access for diverse recreational uses along our beautiful coast, including wider shared pathways, shade, seating and viewing areas. The community strongly supported the Bathers Way Public Domain Plan during public exhibition and it was unanimously adopted by Council in August 2012.
What is happening now?
Coastal Revitalisation includes significant works along our coast over the next ten years. To complete the works within this timeframe, construction will occur year round, including in the warmer months. The outcome will be a substantial improvement for all to enjoy.
- Bathers Way - Dixon Park. Construction works commenced in February 2014
The works involve Stage 1 of Dixon Park Bathers Way and is due for completion October 2014.
- View Stage 1 Plan (2.40 Mb)
- View Preliminary Staging Plan (2.64 Mb)
- View Stage 2 Overall Plan (3.05 Mb)
Newcastle Beach to Nobbys Beach
- Detailed design of the Bathers Way four metre wide pathway from Zaara Street to Nobbys Beach Surf Lifesaving Club is underway
- Bathers Way King Edward Park is underway.
What is complete?
- Shared pathway at Bar Beach from Cooks Hill Surf Club to the car park
- Viewing platform at Bar Beach
- Temporary shared pathway Bar Beach car park
- Shared pathway from Watkins Street to Ocean Street
- One-way traffic John Parade and dedicated cycleway
- Shared pathway from Merewether Surf Club to Merewether Ocean Baths
- Bleacher seating in front of Surf House and new entry/gathering area between the Baths and Surf House (including public art for Ladies Baths)
- Stair access to lower promenade
- Pedestrian path from Bathers Way to Scenic Drive
- Seating, lighting, bins, bike racks and landscaping along Bathers Way
- Bathers Way shared pathway and new plaza area in front of Merewether Surf Club.
View image galleries of completed works:
- Download to see 'then and now' images (3.00MB)
- Image Gallery - Bathers Way - Bar Beach cliff top
- Image Gallery - Bathers Way - Bar Beach car park temporary improvements
- Image Gallery - Bathers Way - Merewether Beach John Parade
- Image Gallery - Merewether Surf Club to Surf House