"The Bathers Way is an iconic part of the Newcastle lifestyle, giving access to our beautiful beaches, and providing an important venue for both exercise and relaxation." Mark Richards
What is proposed?
The Bathers Way (42.3 kb) connects Newcastle's five main beaches from Merewether Ocean Baths to Nobbys Beach. Up to 500 people an hour already use the path in some locations. Upgrading the Bathers Way is the community priority for revitalisation of the Newcastle coastline (Newcastle Coastal Revitalisation Strategy Masterplan, Newcastle Voice Survey 2010).
The Bathers Way will be upgraded to provide comfortable pedestrian and cycle access for diverse recreational uses along our beautiful coast, including wider shared pathways, shade, seating and viewing areas. The community strongly supported the Bathers Way Public Domain Plan during public exhibition and it was unanimously adopted by Council in August 2012.
What is happening now?
Coastal Revitalisation includes significant works along our coast over the next ten years. To complete the works within this timeframe, construction will occur year round, including in the warmer months. The outcome will be a substantial improvement for all to enjoy.
Stage 1 | Dixon Park Bathers Way
Construction work commenced in February 2014. The work involves Stage 1 of Dixon Park Bathers Way and is due for completion October 2014, weather permitting.
Stage 2 | Dixon Park/Bar Beach Bathers Way
Stage 2 of the Dixon Park Bathers Way design is complete and is due to go to tender in the near future. View Stage 2 Dixon Park/Bar Beach Bathers Way plan (1.15Mb).
Parking at Bar Beach
Council aims for a 'parking neutral' approach (or wherever possible, an increase in parking) when undertaking significant public domain works along the coast. In this instance, given the loss of some car parking spaces at the Cliff car park (Kilgour Avenue), additional on-street parking is proposed along Kilgour Avenue and Bar Beach Avenue. This is being investigated and is subject to separate approvals. View indicative plan for angle parking at Bar Beach (1.58Mb).
Bathers Way Newcastle Beach to Nobbys Beach
Construction works commenced in August 2014. This involves the construction of Bathers Way shared pathway, one-way traffic movement in Shortland Esplanade, dedicated on road cycle path, cliff stabilisation works and new shade, seating, lighting and bins. More information.
Temporary closure of Nobbys northern car park
The northern car park at Nobbys Beach will be closed on 20 October 2014 for the remainder of the year while construction works are undertaken in and around this area. Access may be limited and is subject to change. Please follow the directional signs when erected. During this time, alternative parking is available in the southern car park at Nobbys Beach, including accessible parking.
Closure of Shortland Esplanade remaining northbound access
From Monday 3 November 2014, the remaining northbound access on Shortland Esplanade will be permanently closed to traffic between Nobbys Road and Zaara Street. All traffic movement along this part of Shortland Esplanade will become one way (southbound). The closure is necessary to enable construction of the Bathers Way, new kerb alignments and road pavement along Shortland Esplanade. These works are staged and will commence adjacent to the existing roundabout behind Nobbys Beach pavilion.
- Bathers Way King Edward Park planning and design development is underway.
What is complete?
- Shared pathway at Bar Beach from Cooks Hill Surf Club to the car park
- Viewing platform at Bar Beach
- Temporary shared pathway Bar Beach car park
- Shared pathway from Watkins Street to Ocean Street
- One-way traffic John Parade and dedicated cycleway
- Shared pathway from Merewether Surf Club to Merewether Ocean Baths
- Bleacher seating in front of Surf House and new entry/gathering area between the Baths and Surf House (including public art for Ladies Baths)
- Stair access to lower promenade
- Pedestrian path from Bathers Way to Scenic Drive
- Seating, lighting, bins, bike racks and landscaping along Bathers Way
- Bathers Way shared pathway and new plaza area in front of Merewether Surf Club.
View image galleries of completed works:
- Download to see 'then and now' images (3.00MB)
- Image Gallery - Bathers Way - Bar Beach cliff top
- Image Gallery - Bathers Way - Bar Beach car park temporary improvements
- Image Gallery - Bathers Way - Merewether Beach John Parade
- Image Gallery - Merewether Surf Club to Surf House