Lord Mayor's Office
Level 2, City Hall
PO Box 489
Newcastle NSW 2300
Telephone 02 4974 2000
Fax: 02 4974 2202
Nuatali Nelmes was declared Lord Mayor on Thursday 20 November 2014.
She was elected Lord Mayor of Newcastle in November 2014. In September 2008 prior to becoming Lord Mayor, Nuatali was a Councillor on Newcastle City Council, involved with grassroots community activism. She Chairs Council’s Recreation Committee promoting environmental sustainability and the City’s cultural contribution to Australian life.
Nuatali believes urban consolidation coupled with innovative open-space planning is the key to city revitalisation. The Lord Mayor and Council are grappling with issues around Council’s ageing assets and the sometimes disparate commercial and community interests in the city.
Nuatali works with business and industry to identify investment opportunities and diverse employment opportunities. She advocates for open government, accessible to the community and greater representation of minority groups in government.
Nuatali is a strong advocate for an integrated public transport system with improved cycleway and pedestrian options throughout Newcastle. Nuatali cares passionately about the need to build a more efficient, effective and decisive Council that works openly and cooperatively with the community to position Newcastle as Australia’s most sustainable city.
Lord Mayor Nelmes is married with three children and was born and bred in Newcastle.
- Chair Recreation Advisory Committee
- Deputy-Chair Urban Planning and Design Committee
- Asset Advisory Board Member
- Council Representative on the Northern Settlement Services Board
- Council representative on the Hunter Catchment Management Community Reference Panel
- Council representative on the Newcastle catchment management forum
- Member of the Hunter Writers Centre Board
- Project Control Group No.2 Sports ground Redevelopment
- Chair Coastal Revitalisation Working Party