If you need a book, report, article or any other publication which is not held by Newcastle Region Library, the library’s interlibrary loan service can arrange for material to be loaned from another library service on your behalf. Customers who use this service must have a current membership with Newcastle Region Libraries. Read our Frequently Asked Questions or submit your request now.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I request on Interlibrary Loan?
- Non fiction books not held by Newcastle Region Library which are more than two years old
- Fiction titles that are out of print
- Microform reels from the National Library of Australia to be used within the Information & Research Centre
- VHS film recordings
- Copies of journal and newspaper articles
- Copies of information or chapters from Motor Manuals
- Copies of information or chapters from other resources
If the item is recently published, consider submitting a suggestion for purchase
What cannot be requested on Interlibrary Loan?
- Fiction still in print
- Music CDs
- Junior materials
- Ready reference material
- Non fiction published in the past two years
- Material that is currently held in our collection
Is there a charge?
Charges apply to all interlibrary loan requests. These charges are generally:
- $8.10 for a basic search or
- $18.10 for an advanced search
Interlibrary loan staff will advise you of any additional costs before proceeding with your request.
How long does it take?
The length of time an interlibrary loan can vary for each request. Urgent requests can be allocated a 'priority' or 'express' status, however, additional costs apply for these levels of service. When the item arrives it will be sent to the branch nominated by you on the request form and staff will contact you.
How long can I keep the item?
The loan period is determined by the supplying library, generally from 2-5 weeks. Extensions may be available and are at the discretion of the supplying library. Contact interlibrary loan staff before the due date if an extension is required as overdue fees apply.
Some items may only be used within the library building. The interlibrary loan officer will advise you if this is the case before proceeding with your request.
How do I make a request?
Materials can be requested by completing an interlibrary loan request form or ask at your local branch library.
For further information, or renewals contact:
P: 02 4974 5334
F: 02 4974 5395