City of Newcastle was formed in April 1938 with the merger of Adamstown, Carrington, Hamilton, Lambton, Merewether, Newcastle, New Lambton, Stockton, Wallsend, Waratah and Wickham Councils.
What does Council do?
Council is responsible for looking after public facilities and providing community services. City of Newcastle provides more than 70 services such as:
- Town planning
- Construction and maintenance of local roads, streets and bridges
- Preservation of historic places
- Food and public health services
- Waste management and recycling
- Supervision of building and development control
- Parking control
- Maintenance of parks, golf courses, sporting fields, pools and beach facilities
- Provision and servicing of libraries, community centres, theatres and art galleries
- Pet registration and control
- Tourism services
- Promotion of economic development
- Child care facilities
- Fire prevention enforcement and many more.
Council has two main parts:
- The elected Council, (the popularly elected Lord Mayor and 12 Councillors)
- The administration (led by the CEO).
The Elected Council
Councillors are elected to represent the interests of residents and ratepayers and provide leadership and guidance to the community.
The CEO leads the administrative arm of Council. The CEO is responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the Council’s organisation and for ensuring that the decisions of the Council are implemented.
Council has adopted a set of values to guide organisational behaviour:
Cooperation - We work together as an organisation, helping and supporting each other
Respect - We respect diverse views and opinions and act with integrity
Excellence - We strive for quality and improvement in everything we do
Wellbeing - We develop a safe and supportive environment.
Customer Service Charter
Council has introduced a Customer Service Charter to provide rules and set standards for our service delivery to residents and ratespayers.
The City of Newcastle is organised into five groups, each with a range of responsibilities. Find out the members of the Executive Leadership Team and their areas of responsibility.
Council's corporate logo is inspired by the city's Civic Fountain.