Prepare for an Emergency at Work
Simple planning can make all the difference. This website provides information about what you and your colleagues can do to prepare for an emergency.
Find out how to:
- Be prepared at work
- Prepare a Evac pack
View the Emergencies Happen brochure
View the Emergency Fast-Info Card (pdf)
Be prepared at work
You can save yourself a lot of panic if you understand and practice the emergency and evacuation procedures at work. Make sure you are familiar with:
- Who the Fire Wardens or Emergency Wardens are for your building
- Where the exit points are in your building
- Where the assembly points for your building might be
- Where you can find a battery operated radio
- What the back up electricity supply is for your building
Have an Evac Pack ready
An Evac Pack is a small bag of items you can keep at work in case you need to be evacuated in an emergency.
Your Evac Pack should contain:
- Portable radio with spare batteries
- Basic first aid kit
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A bottle of water
- A disc containing back-up files of work
- Pen and notepad.
Keep your Evac Pack in a waterproof storage container and remember to check it on a regular basis to make sure none of the items have passed their use-by dates. Re-stock items if you need to.