What's happening at Orchardtown Road?
We are improving safety and the look and feel of Blackbutt Village, Orchardtown Road, New Lambton as part of our Local Centres program.
Key features of our upgrade include:
- A new 40km/hr zone, making it safer for pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.
- An off-road shared pedestrian and cycle path.
- A new pedestrian crossing, providing a safer link between the western car park and the shops.
- Footpath connections to Blackbutt Reserve and Richley Reserve.
- Wider footpaths and new plazas to improve outdoor dining and promote activation of the centre.
- Renewal of drainage, kerb, gutter, road, lighting, and street furniture.
- Improvements to the natural environment and increased shade with additional tree planting and ground cover, including over a 100 new trees and 23 garden beds.
What is the current status?
| || |
- New footpaths and the planting of street trees on Freyberg Street and Dunkley Avenue are complete.
- Work to upgrade drainage and improve access for pedestrians and shoppers in the western car park is now complete. Minor works in this area will continue over the coming months, including landscaping and signposting.
- Upgrade of the eastern carpark has commenced. Work will progressively move across the carpark, expanding into pedestrian pavements and landscaping around September 2023. As the work progresses car spaces in this area will be intermittently closed.
- Safe pedestrian access between the shops and the western car park will continue to be available using the existing signalised crossing at the intersection of Carnley Avenue and Orchardtown Road.
- Some existing trees in Freyberg Street, Dunkley Ave and the western car park have been removed due to either current poor condition or because planned works surrounding the tree would mean the deterioration in the health of the tree.
- Around 130 new trees will be planted, as part of the upgrade, to improve the natural environment and increase shade in the area. Many of these new trees have already been planted along Freyberg Street and Dunkley Avenue.
Works fronting the businesses in the main local centre area, including the carparking shopfronts and footpaths are anticipated to be completed in early 2024.
Further works to upgrade the intersection and signals at Carnley Ave will be completed in the second half of 2024, pending Transport for NSW approvals. The creation of new community spaces at the corner of Myra Street and Carnley Avenue, are also scheduled to be completed in the second half of 2024. These works scheduled later in 2024 are expected to have limited impacts on parking or access to the businesses.
Work will progress in stages across the Local Centre area. We will provide updates to businesses and residents in advance of work commencing in their area. As we deliver these works there will be diversions in place, and noise from machinery. Please follow the directions of signage and our team on site.
Find out more about the project with our answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Have your say
Thank you for having your say - Community Plaza's
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on two new community spaces for Blackbutt Village via our online survey. Feedback has now closed. We are currently reviewing your feedback and will report back soon. Visit the Have Your Say Page for more details.
Thank you for having your say - Timed Parking
During earlier consultation we heard the availability of safe parking options is important to the local community. We sought feedback from local businesses, and then asked for broader community feedback on a range of timed (not paid) parking options in the area. Thanks for sharing your feedback. You can read more about the results of this community consultation by visiting our Have Your Say page.
The temporary 2hr parking currently installed in the western car park will remain in place for the duration of work in the area. This will help to ensure parking spaces are regularly turned over during construction.
5 July 2022 - Community feedback sought on parking at Blackbutt Village
15 June 2022 - Improved connection to Richley Reserve as Blackbutt Village upgrade progresses
28 Feb 2022 - Multimillion dollar Blackbutt Village upgrade ready to commence
We ran an online survey in December 2017 to gain feedback from the community about issues related to the public domain and priorities for improvements. In June 2019 we undertook place experience (PX) surveys with 50 community members to gather further community input. You can view the results in the PX2 Assessment.
The information provided by the community was used with data gathered from a site analysis to inform the draft Blackbutt Village, Orchardtown Road Public Domain and Traffic Plan which was on public exhibition for community comment from 2 March 2020 until 23 April 2020. A community workshop scheduled for 28 March 2020 had to be cancelled due to COVID-19 and instead a visioning survey was undertaken online with community members who had signed up for the workshop.
The exhibition results have been analysed and are available in the following reports:
Following the public exhibition, we finalised the Public Domain Plan in line with community submissions. The final Public Domain Plan was adopted by the elected Council on 22 September 2020. We then completed our design, and commenced construction in March 2022.
The Public Domain Planning Process Flow Chart (PDF) outlines the process in more detail.