Pedestrian and traffic improvement projects
We will be working on a range of traffic management and pedestrian improvement projects under the LATM (Local Area Traffic Management) and PAMP (Pedestrian Access and Mobility Plan) programs in the 2021/2022 financial year. The projects are at various stages of investigation, planning, design and/or construction. For some projects, we need to undertake more consultation before designs are finalised.
Local area traffic management projects
- Chinchen St, Islington - Construction of traffic control signals at the intersection of Chinchen and Clyde streets, Islington. Project has been delayed but is expected to be complete by the end of this financial year.
- Frederick Street, Merewether –Construction of a raised pedestrian crossing at Coane Street (pending Council approval) and design of a raised crossing at Berner Street
- Croudace Road, Elermore Vale - Investigation and design of traffic signals at the intersection of Croudace Road and Garsdale Avenue, Elermore Vale.
- Glebe Road at Park Avenue - Construction of traffic signals.
- Mawson Street, Shortland - Construction of road humps and speed cushions on Mawson Street, between Sandgate Road and Marton Street - completed.
- National Park Street, Merewether - Completion of construction of a raised pedestrian crossing on National Park Street north of Kenrick Street, Merewether.
- Park Avenue, Kotara - Investigation of traffic control signals at the intersection of Park Avenue and Joslin Street, Kotara.
- Parry Street and National Park Street Intersection, Newcastle West - Design and construction of a raised crossing.
- Tighes Hill - Design and construction of traffic calming devices as indicated in the report Tighes Hill Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) Plan Review.
- Wood Street, Newcastle - Design of a raised crossing at the intersection of Hunter Street and modification to allow one way traffic flow south bound on Wood Street.
Pedestrian improvement projects
- Beech Close to Weller Street, Fletcher - Investigation and concept design of a link (shared path) from Beech Close to Weller Street, Fletcher, across Wentworth Creek.
- Brunker Road, Broadmeadow – Design and construction of a raised crossing at the existing pedestrian crossing east of Coola Road.
- Christo Road, Waratah - Construction of a footpath on the northern side of Christo Road from the transport stop opposite number 104 to connect to Turton Road - completed.
- Cynthia Street, Adamstown Heights - Construction of a footpath from Belair Public School to Westfield Kotara entry, a raised threshold with pedestrian crossing on Cynthia Street west of Carolyn Street, and a road hump on Carolyn Street - completed.
- Elizabeth Street at Maitland Road, Mayfield - Design of a pedestrian refuge with kerb extensions at the intersection of Elizabeth Street with Maitland Road, Mayfield.
- Hannell Street, Maryville - Completion of construction of a footpath on the west side of Hannell Street from Throsby Creek Shared Path to Harrison Street - completed.
- Hawthorne Street, Beresfield - Concept design of a footpath on Hawthorne Street, Beresfield between Beresford Street and Boomerang Street.
- Hobart Road, New Lambton – Construction of pedestrian refuges, kerb extensions and a lighting upgrade at the intersection of Wallarah Road - completed.
- Lexington Parade, Kotara - Design of a footpath on the eastern side of Lexington Parade connecting the existing paving at the bus stop opposite Kotara High School to the Westfield car park.
- McCaffrey Drive, Rankin Park - Design and construction of a footpath on the south side of McCaffrey Drive from number 235 McCaffrey Drive to Elbrook Drive, including kerb ramps.
- Maryland Drive, Maryland - Construction of a pedestrian refuge near Holywell Street.
- Minmi Road, Maryland - Completion of construction of a footpath on the north side of Minmi Road from Maryland Drive (east) to Boundary Road - completed.
Further detail on projects will be available on the Projects and Works page as they progress.