In the 2022/23 financial year, we have allocated close to $16 million for the renewal and delivery of new roads, bridges and new footpaths. This includes $3.9 million on bridges, $3.2 million on road rehabilitation, $6.5 million on road resurfacing, preparation, testing and monitoring, $1 million on footpaths and $1.37 million on street furniture.
Road resurfacing involves replacement of the top layers of the road - asphalting, linemarking, and often accompanying kerb and gutter works.
Road rehabilitation work often involves repair or replacement of drainage structures or other services deep underneath the road.
Road surface preservation works include crack sealing, asphalt patching, resealing and surface rejuvenation treatments are carried out on an annual program. If you would like more information about our re-sealing program and why we do it, please visit the Re-sealing Your Road page.
A quick run down of how our crews deal with potholes across Newcastle.
Road rehabilitation works
Current rehabilitation projects
- Allowah Street, Waratah - Platt Street to end of road.
Planned rehabilitation projects
- Memorial Drive, The Hill
- Tourle and Bull Street, Mayfield
- Croudace Road, Elermore Vale
- Lambton Road, New Lambton
Road resurfacing works
Planned resurfacing projects
- Hubbard Street, Islington
- Gordon Avenue, Hamilton
- Douglas Street, Wallsend
Kerb and gutter works
Kerb and gutter upgrades
- Lingard Street, Merewether - construction
- Harriet Street, Waratah - investigation
- Stephen Street, Georgetown
- Bailey Street at Fletcher Street, Adamstown
- Hollingsford Crescent, Carrington
- Mackie Avenue at Sketchley Parade, New Lambton
- Northcott Drive, Kotara
- 359 Park Avenue, Kotara at Johnson Street
- Parkway Avenue, Hamilton South
- Tyrrell Street, Wallsend
- Corona Street, Hamilton East
- Wall Lane, North Lambton (design)
- Unnamed lane off Morehead Street, Lambton (design)
We have separate programs for the expansion of the footpath and cycleway networks through Pedestrian and Traffic Improvements and Cycleway Works.
Local Centre renewal projects:
There is also funding for replacement of street signs, line marking, ordinance fencing and street furniture.
- Anderson Drive, Beresfield (pedestrian crossing lighting)
- Sunset Boulevard, North Lambton (pedestrian crossing lighting)
- Newcastle Road, Jesmond - transport stop upgrade with shelter
- Park Avenue, Adamstown - transport stop design
- Cowper Street, Wallsend - transport stop design
- Young Street, Georgetown - transport stop investigation
Projects being investigated for future road programs
- Fern Street, Islington
- Longworth Avenue, Wallsend
- Margaret Street, Merewether
- Mathieson Street, Carrington
- Park Avenue, Kotara
- Pride Avenue, Lambton
- Samdon Street, Hamilton
- Tyrone Road, New Lambton
Roads to Recovery Program
The Australian Government provided funding under the Roads to Recovery Program for local road works, which was used to support 2021/22 local road works at Croudace Road, Elermore Vale, Allowah Street, Waratah West and Watt Street, Newcastle.
The proposed 2022/23 works are part of the road and embankment project at Memorial Drive, Bark Beach. There is also Regional Road REPAIR Program grant unding going towards a road project on Lambton Road, New Lambton.
Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program
As part of Phase 2 of the program, the Federal Government provided additional funding for 2021/22 which was used to undertake road pavement patching on local roads, in addition to planned road maintenance and footpath construction project to support community access to recreation. Phase 3 is now underway with additional funding to assist the below projects.
Phase 3 - Proposed Works (2022/23)
- Glebe Road at Park Avenue, Adamstown - traffic signals
- Croudace Road, Elermore Vale - road rehabilitation
- Allowah Street, Waratah - road reconstruction
- Clyde Street at Chinchen Street, Islington - traffic signals
- Kinta Drive, Beresfield - road rehabilitation