Events are a great way to attract visitors to the city and we want to make sure our local business community have the tools they need to benefit before, during and after major events. We have pulled together all of the guidelines you might need to activate your business in one spot.
Event and Activity Bookings
If you would like to book an event or activity, including small scale ventures such as a pop-up bbq or stall, on city managed land (including footpaths, road, park, beach, sportsground, and public spaces) please refer to the following steps:
- For booking enquiries and/or to check availability please contact Customer Service on (02) 4974 2000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once a tentative booking has been made, we will email you an Application for Licence to Stage an Event
- Complete the application and submit within the relevant time frame to allow for appropriate consultation and assessment against policy and legislative requirements.
Low impact events
- Have between 250 to 2500 attendees per day
- Use 5% to 25% of the space to be used
- Need to lodge an application one month prior to the event date.
Medium impact events
- Have between 3000 to 6000 attendees per day
- Use 30% to 60% of a space to be used
- Need to lodge an application four months prior to the event date.
High impact events
- Have between 6500 to 10000 attendees per day
- Use 60% to 100% of a space to be used
- Need to lodge an application eight months prior to the event date.
Please ensure you attach all required documentation as outlined in the form.
- We will assess your application and liaise with you if any further information is required
- Upon approval an event authorisation will be emailed to you together with an invoice for associated fees and charges. Please refer to 2018/19 Fees and Charges
Please refer to the Newcastle Events Guide
for further information.
You must provide a Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance) to the value of $20 million, in the name of the lead applicant and/or organisation holding the event and with City of Newcastle noted as an interested party on your policy.
Promoting Your Event
To promote your event on City of Newcastle's What's On
Calendar, complete the Promote Your Event form
. Read our submission guidelines
Outdoor Trading - Temporary Use
If you would like to temporarily extend your trading area past your existing footprint, you will need to complete an Application for Licence to Stage an Event form. Please refer to the Events/Activity Booking section for further details.
Outdoor Trading - Permanent
To apply for an annual outdoor trading permit please complete an Application for Outdoor Trading
referring to the Outdoor Trading Policy
for regulations and requirements. New outdoor trading applications are reviewed once a month by the Licensed Premises Reference Group which includes Police and Liquor Licensing. Please ensure you allow sufficient time for the application form to be processed. If you already have an existing permit, you must trade within the approved area. Refer to 2018/19 Fees and Charges
A liquor licence is required to sell, serve or supply alcohol as part of your business activity, or at an event. Liquor & Gaming NSW oversees the regulatory framework for liquor activities across NSW. Please refer to the Liquor & Gaming website
for further information.
Extending Trading Hours
Licensees can apply under the NSW liquor laws to sell and supply liquor outside standard trading period. Extended trading can occur either before or after the standard period, and can also apply on a permanent or one-off basis. Any extended trading granted is subject to a daily 6-hour closure period. Applications and further information for an extended trading authorisation are available from the Liquor and Gaming
Change of Use for Land/Premises
If you wish to change the use of land and/or ancillary activities such as erecting scaffolding platforms, advertising signage, using office space as a function venue you will need to submit a Development Application Form
. For submission requirements please refer to Checklist - Change of use and Ancillary Development
. Refer to 2018/19 Fees and Charges
. Please allow sufficient time for processing.
All food businesses, whether you are running a restaurant or a cake stall / sausage sizzle, must comply with Food Safety Standards. These guidelines
(pdf) inform businesses selling food at temporary events in NSW of their legal requirements in relation to the NSW Food Act 2003 and the Food Standard Code. It is mandatory to complete a Food Business Notification
form to notify City of Newcastle when undertaking any food business or activity prior to the commencement of trade. Please allow sufficient time for processing.
Mobile Food Vending Vehicles
For further information and requirements
regarding mobile food vending for the purpose of selling food in a public place.
The following steps will assist you with obtaining approval:
- Refer to the Mobile Food Vending Vehicles Policy to ensure your business is capable of meeting the requirements.
- Complete Application for Approval to use a Mobile Food Vending Vehicle including all supplementary documentation required to assess your application.
- Submit application form and make payment of the application processing fee. Refer to 2018/19 Fees and Charges Please allow sufficient time for processing.
City of Newcastle
P: 02 4974 2000