Access Advisory Committee
Advisory Committees have beene established to provide advice to the elected Council on matters of strategic significance, and to provide advice to City of Newcastle on implementation of relevant matters aligned to the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan.
The Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee was established in 2017 and first met on 28 February 2018. The Committee assists with the implementation of our Disability Inclusion Action Plan, along with providing advice on current and relevant local matters relating to disability inclusion in Newcastle.
The objectives and responsibilties of the Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee are:
- To enhance the delivery of Council's commitment to the Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2019
- To provide strategic advice and guidance to Council and Council Officers in relation to making Newcastle a highly inclusive community
- To engage people with disabilities, their carers and disability service providers in Local Government
- To discuss localised concerns about barriers experienced by people with disabilities
- To support Council in a manner that is consistent with Council values
- To submit an annual report to the elected Council on the operation and actions of this Committee
Current membership of the Committee is as follows:
- Cr Matthew Byrne (Councillor representative)
- Cr Carol Duncan (Councillor representative)
- Cr Andrea Rufo (Councillor representative)
- Nathan Burford (Organisational representative-Guide Dogs NSW/ACT)
- Joseph Popov (Organisational representative-Community Disability Alliance Hunter)
- Tracy Walker (Organisational representative-Maroba Communities)
- Chris Leishman (Community representative)
- Kirsty Russell (Community representative)
- Eliot Shaw (Community representative)
- Margaret Wood (Community representative)
NOTICE - COVID-19 Response
COVID-19 - The safety of our communities, customers and employees is our top priority. As such, on 28 April 2020, Council adopted an amended meeting schedule for the period May to September 2020 which includes Advisory Committees being able to meet (quarterly as scheduled and if determined necessary by the Chair and Facilitator). The location of all meetings will be determined by the Chief Executive Officer in consultation with the Lord Mayor, having regard to all relevant public health orders, and will be either via audio-visual platform or at an appropriate CN facility in accordance with the requirements of the Local Government Act 1993. We appreciate your ongoing support at this time.
2020 Original Meeting Dates:
- Wednesday 4 March 2020
- Wednesday 3 June 2020 (Postponed pending Government Advice)
- Wednesday 18 November 2020 (Postponed pending Government Advice)
- Wednesday 2 December 2020 (Postponed pending Government Advice
2020 Amended Meeting Dates:
- Wednesday 4 March 2020
- Wednesday 29 July 2020
- Wedesday 18 November 2020
The Committee aims to meet 6 times per year, with 2021 dates soon to be finalised.
The Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee is facilitated by City of Newcastle's Community Planning and Development team. They can be contacted on 02 4974 2000 to discuss matters related to the current Disability Inclusion Action Plan, as well as committee activities.
If you would like to provide access and inclusion related feedback about our local infrastrcture or services, please email email@example.com.