To provide advice and guidance on the development of strategies, and identification of challenges and opportunities, about urban planning, heritage, safety, affordable housing and healthy and connected urban systems within the Local Government Area (LGA).
Advisory Committees are established under Part Q of City of Newcastle’s Code of Meeting Practice to provide advice to the elected Council on matters of strategic significance, and to provide advice to us on implementation of relevant matters aligned to the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan. Advisory Committees may make recommendations to Council or a Committee of Council, but no functions are delegated to them by City of Newcastle.
Membership to this Committee includes:
- Up to three Councillors (Cr McKenzie - Chair and Cr Winney-Baartz - Deputy Chair and Cr Church)
- The Lord Mayor, Cr Nelmes
- Representatives from stakeholder organisations (Kristi Jorgensen from Hunter and Central Coast Advisory Committee, Sue-Anne Ware from University of Newcastle, Steve O'Connor from Planning Institute of Australia and Rachel Cogger from Urban Development Institute)
- Up to three community representatives (David Moir and Steven Fleming)
The Lord Mayor may attend any Advisory Committee meeting as a voting member. Community representatives of City of Newcastle Advisory Committees are not paid and serve on a voluntary basis.
If more applications from suitable community representatives are received than positions, offers of membership will be made to the top applicant/s and the remainder placed on an eligibility list.
Responsibility of Advisory Committee Members
Committee members are expected to have the time needed to understand the Committee’s business papers and attend Committee meetings and provide advice and feedback on matters brought before the Committee.
Committee members are required to follow applicable City of Newcastle policies and procedures and must:
- Conduct themselves in accordance with City of Newcastle’s Code of Conduct
- Declare and manage Conflicts of Interest in accordance with City of Newcastle’s Code of Conduct
- Maintain confidentiality and not disclose confidential or private information
- Not use information gained through membership of the Committee for a private benefit for themselves or any other person
- Understand City of Newcastle’s Media Policy and not speak to the media or members of the public on behalf of City of Newcastle, the Advisory Committee or Working Party.
City of Newcastle has adopted Guidelines for Meeting Practice. These Guidelines provide additional detail on responsibility requirements.
COVID-19 - The safety of our communities, customers and employees is our top priority. As such, on 28 April 2020, Council adopted an amended meeting schedule for the period May 2020 to September 2020 which includes Advisory Committees being able to meet (quarterly as scheduled and if determined necessary by the Chair and Facilitator). The location of all meetings will be determined by the Chief Executive Officer in consultation with the Lord Mayor, having regard to all relevant public health orders, and will be either via audio-visual platform or at an appropriate City of Newcastle facility in accordance with the requirements of the Local Government Act 1993. We appreciate your ongoing support at this time.
Meetings will be held quarterly, on the first Tuesday of the month commencing at 5.30pm. Meetings will be held in City Hall, 290 King Street, Newcastle but may relocate to the new Council premises at 12 Stewart Avenue, Newcastle West in mid 2020.
- First meeting was held on 6 August 2019.
- Second meeting was held on 1 October 2019.
- Third meeting was held on 2 December 2019.
- Fourth meeting was held on 4 February 2020.
- Fifth meeting was to be held on 5 May 2020 - CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- Sixth meeting was held on 4 August 2020.
- Seventh meeting to be held on 3 November 2020.
- Eighth meeting to be held on 2 February 2021.
- Ninth meeting to be held on 4 May 2021.
- Tenth meeting to be held on 3 August 2021.
Agendas of Meetings Held
Minutes of Meetings Held
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference (PDF 36KB)