Community and Culture Advisory Committee
Advisory Committees have been established to provide advice to the elected Council on matters of strategic significance, and to provide advice to City of Newcastle on implementation of relevant matters aligned to the Newcastle 2040 Community Strategic Plan. Advisory Committees may make recommendations to Council or a Committee of Council.
The Community and Culture Advisory Committee will provide advice and guidance on the development of strategies, and identification of challenges and opportunities, in relation to cultural planning, arts and cultural opportunities, community pride and local identity, and community involvement which encourages a sense of belonging within the local government area.
The Committee is facilitated by our City Wide Services Directorate. Membership to this Committee includes:
- Cr Carol Duncan - Chairperson
- Cr Margaret Wood - Deputy Chairperson
- Cr Jenny Barrie - Councillor Member
- Lord Mayor, Cr Nuatali Nelmes - Councillor Member
- Dr Ann Hardy, Univsity of Newcastle - Stakeholder Member
- Matt Endacott, Wren St Consulting - Stakeholder Member
- Dr Shane Brandson - Community Member
- Janice Musumeci - Community Member
- Jasmine Fletcher - Community Member
- Anna Hombsch - Community Member
The Lord Mayor may attend any Advisory Committee meeting as a voting member. Community representatives of Advisory Committees are not paid and serve on a voluntary basis.
If more applications from suitable community representatives are received than positions, offers of membership will be made to the top applicant/s and the remainder placed on an eligibility list.
Responsibility of Advisory Committee Members
Committee members are expected to have the time needed to understand the Committee’s business papers and attend Committee meetings and provide advice and feedback on matters brought before the Committee.
Committee members are required to follow applicable policies and procedures and must:
- Conduct themselves in accordance with the Code of Conduct
- Declare and manage Conflicts of Interest in accordance with the Code of Conduct
- Maintain confidentiality and not disclose confidential or private information
- Not use information gained through membership of the Committee for a private benefit for themselves or any other person
- Understand the Media Policy (PDF) and not speak to the media or members of the public on behalf of Council, the Advisory Committee or working party.
We have adopted Guidelines for meeting practice (PDF). These Guidelines provide additional detail on responsibility requirements.
2022 Meeting Schedule
5.30pm, Thursday 17 February 2022, City Hall Chambers
5.30pm, Tuesday 5 April 2022, City Hall Chambers
5.30pm, Tuesday 2 August 2022, City Hall Chambers
5.30pm, Monday 31 October 2022, City Hall Chambers
Terms of Reference Archive
Minutes from the Committee's 2019 to 2021 meetings are available below.