Roads-Application for permanent closure and sale of public road

Use this form to apply to close and purchase a road under section 34 of the Roads Act 1993 that is under the control of City of Newcastle.

Important information

  • All road closures are subject to the approval of the elected Council 
  • Road can only be sold to the adjoining land owner.
There are portions of land designated as road reserve throughout the local government area which are not constructed as road or used for road. Whilst the majority of this land is required by City of Newcastle there are some instances where the road reserve is not required for future use and can be sold to the adjoining land owner.

Road Closure Process

The sale of any portion of road reserve is dependent on an official road closure procedure taking place. This includes consultation with public, neighbouring properties in the immediate area, government authorities and agencies who may have an interest in the road; if any objections are received the applicant must resolves the objection and have the objector provide a non-objection before the closure can proceed to the elected Council.
If the closure is not approved by the elected Council the road will not be closed and sold.

Supporting documents

 Road Closure Procedure (pdf)
 List of Agencies Consulted (pdf)
 Application form (pdf)

What fees are involved in closing a road?

All fees and costs associated with the closure of a road will be paid by the applicant wishing to close the road. These fees include but are not limited to:
  • Road Closure application fee - $784.40
  • Advertising costs approx. - $800*
  • Deed of Agreement - Applicant legal costs*
  • Council administration fee - $3,125.65
  • Gazettal fee - $147.90 approx.*
  • Plan of Survey (for Road Closure) - Applicants survey costs*
  • Development Application fee approx. - $650
  • Section 50 approval Hunter Water - $507*    
  • Subdivision Certificate application fee approx. - $660
  • Conveyancing/legal costs - Applicants legal costs*
  • Compensation for land - Statutory Land Value
  • Consolidation survey plan - Applicants survey costs*
*Third party fees are estimates  only.

How to make an application

Please call (02) 4974 2000 to speak to a Council Officer before making an application.