City of Newcastle has allocated $22.9 million in the 2020/21 budget for the renewal and delivery of new roads, bridges and new footpaths, including replacing streetlights with LED. This includes $4.5 million on bridges, $7.1 million on road rehabilitation, $4.8 million on road resurfacing and preparation, $5 million on replacing streetlights with new LED lights, and $1.5 million on footpaths, road and street furniture.
Road resurfacing works involve replacement of the top layers of the road - asphalting, linemarking, and often accompanying kerb and gutter works. Road rehabilitation works go deeper down and often involve repair or replacement of drainage structures or other services underneath the road.
Road surface preservation works include crack sealing, asphalt patching, resealing and surface rejuvenation treatments are carried out on an annual program. If you would like more information about our re-sealing program and why we do it, please visit the Re-sealing Your Road page.
Road rehabilitation works
Current rehabilitation projects
- Sharpe Street, Mayfield (Sildoe Street to end).
- Boundary Street, Kotara- Joslin Street to Casey Street (Cross LGA project to be delivered with Lake Macquarie City Council).
Planned rehabilitation projects
- Allowah Street, Waratah - Platt Street to end - reconstruction.
- Howell Street, Kotara - Park Avenue to Joanne Street - reconstruction.
- Cardiff Road, New Lambton Heights – pavement stabilisation.
- Elizabeth Cook Drive, Rankin Park – pavement stabilisation.
- Pebblestone Street, Fletcher – pavement stabilisation.
- Wentworth Street, Wallsend – pavement stabilisation.
Road resurfacing works
Current resurfacing projects
- Sharpe Street, Mayfield.
- Watkins Street, Merewether.
- Albert Street, Wickham.
- Wolfe Street, Newcastle.
Planned resurfacing projects
- Havelock Street, Mayfield.
- Crown Street and King Street, Stockton – adjacent to Local Centre Works.
- Popran Road, Adamstown.
- Park Avenue, Adamstown.
- Princeton Avenue, Adamstown Heights.
- Bar Beach Avenue, Bar Beach.
- Sandgate Road, Shortland – adjacent to Local Centre Works.
- Lambton Pool Car Park.
- Wallsend Pool Car Park.
Planned resealing projects
- Lenaghans Drive, Blackhill.
Completed resurfacing projects
- Honeysuckle Drive, Newcastle.
- Morehead Street, Lambton.
We are also investigating future renewal in the following suburbs: Carrington, Elermore Vale, Fletcher, Hamilton South, Maryland, Mayfield, Waratah, Jesmond, Adamstown and Stockton.
Kerb and gutter works
Kerb and gutter upgrades
- Bousfield Street, Wallsend – currently in design ahead of commencing construction this financial year.
- Lingard Street, Merewether - currently in design.
- Harriet Street, Waratah – scheduled to commence design this financial year.
- Hickson Street, Merewether – currently in design.
- Stephen Street, Georgetown – currently in design.
Planned Footpath rehabilitation projects
- Mordue Parade, Jesmond - Shared pathway terminals.
Other minor footpath works
- Amber Close, Fletcher.
- Warabrook Boulevard, Warabrook.
City of Newcastle has separate programs for the expansion of footpath and cycleways network through Pedestrian and Traffic Improvements and Cycleway Works.
Local Centre renewal projects
There is also funding for replacement of street signs, line marking, ordinance fencing and street furniture.
- Complete rollout of LED replacements to residential streets.
- Rollout of LED replacement for main roads.
- Transport shelter, Allowah Street, Waratah West.
- Transport stop upgrade, Darby Street at Parry Street, Cooks Hill.
- Transport shelter, Hobart Road, New Lambton.
Projects being investigated for future road programs
- Corona Street, Hamilton East - reconstruction.
- Mathieson Street, Carrington - Elizabeth Street to Coe Street - investigation.
- Samdon Street, Hamilton - Tudor Street to Bibby Street - reconstruction - investigation commenced.
- Longworth Avenue, Wallsend - reconstruction.
- Margaret Street, Merewether - reconstruction.
- Park Avenue, Kotara - Howell Street to Seaview Street - reconstruction - on hold.
- Pride Avenue, Lambton - Chilcott Street to Barellan Street - reconstruction.
- Woodward Street, Merewether – reconstruction.
- Fern Street, Islington - reconstruction.
The Australian Government's Roads to Recovery Program
This year the Australian Government has provided funding under the Roads to Recovery Program for local road works, which will be used to support planned 2020/21 local road works.
The Australian Government's Local Road and Community Infrastructure
This year the Australian Government has provided additional funding for 2020/21 which will be used to undertake road pavement patching across the City on Local Roads in addition to planned City of Newcastle Road Maintenance.