Road Rehabilitation and Resurfacing
City of Newcastle has allocated $13.5 million on road rehabilitation and resurfacing in 2019/20. This includes a $4.5 million civil works program to upgrade Newcastle's bridges and $9 million on road reconstruction, including Frederick Street in Merewether, Boundary Street Kotara, Bunn Street Wallsend and the completion of Beresfield local centres.
Road rehabilitation projects
- Frederick Street, Merewether - Robert Street to Helen Street
- Boundary Street, Kotara- Joslin Street to Casey Street (Cross LGA project to be delivered with Lake Macquarie City Council)
Road resurfacing works
- Auckland Street, Newcastle
- Merewether Street, Newcastle
- King Street, Newcastle West
- Wentworth Street, Wallsend.
Upcoming night works
- Bunn Street, Wallsend- 18 September
- Longworth Avenue, Walsend- 19 September
- Tudor Street, Hamilton- 23 September
- Bar Beach Carpark, Bar Beach- 24 September
- Gipps Street, Carrington
Kerb and gutter works
Planned Footpath rehabilitation
- Mordue Parade, Jesmond- Shared pathway terminals
- Vera Street, Waratah West- Shared pathway realignment
Completed Footpath rehabilitation
- City Road, Merewether - Alice Street to Allworth Street
Local Centre renewal projects
- Mitchell Street, Stockton - King Street to Crown Street - in design
- Llewellyn Street, Merewether - Dent Street to Merewether Street - in design
- Cowper Street, Wallsend - Kokera Street to Newcastle Road - in design.
There is also funding for replacement of street signs, line marking, ordinance fencing and street furniture.
Road surface preservation works include crack sealing, asphalt patching, resealing and surface rejuvenation treatments are carried out on an annual program. If you would like more information about our re-sealing program and why we do it, please visit the Re-sealing Your Road
Projects being investigated for future road programs
- Mathieson Street, Carrington - Elizabeth Street to Coe Street - not commenced
- Samdon Street, Hamilton - Tudor Street to Bibby Street - reconstruction - investigation commenced
- Howell Street, Kotara - Park Avenue to Joanne Street - reconstruction - on hold pending related projects
- Park Avenue, Kotara - Howell Street to Seaview Street - reconstruction - on hold
- Pride Avenue, Lambton - Chilcott Street to Barellan Street - reconstruction - on hold
- Allowah Street, Waratah - Platt Street to end - reconstruction - detailed design commenced.
The Australian Government's Roads to Recovery Program
This year the Australian Government has provided funding under the Roads to Recovery Program for local road works yet to be identified for 2019/20.