Emergency Services

Call 000 for Emergency Services

In an emergency make sure you ring 000 if there are people injured or threat to life.

000 is a free call from any phone in Australia even a phone box or disconnected mobile phone.

TTY users (hearing/ speech impaired) should call 106.

Quick guide to emergency planning

 Emergencies Happen brochure (pdf)
 Emergency Fast-Info Card (pdf)


Call the NSW Police on 000 to ask for assistance.

Fire emergencies

In the event of a fire call 000 and ask for the Fire Brigade.

NSW Fire Brigade - 000

The NSW Fire Brigade manages fire emergencies in NSW’s major cities and towns. Visit  NSW Fire Brigade for more information.

NSW Rural Fire Service - 000

70,000 Rural Fire Service volunteer members provide emergency services to over 95 percent of NSW. Find out how to join, how to apply for fire permits and more on the  Rural Fire Service website.

Floods and storms

SES – 132 500

The SES’s major responsibilities are for flood and storm operations.

You should contact the SES for assistance with incidences involving private property, such as trees that may have come down on your roof.

Contact the SES on 132 500 or visit the  SES website.

Your local Council – 4974 2000

Local Councils are responsible for public places such as parks and roads. You should ring your local Council for advice and assistance about storm or flood damage to public places.

Ring City of Newcastle 4974 2000 or visit the  Council's website.

Weather and warnings

Bureau of Meteorology

Find up to date information about weather forecasts and warnings by visiting the  Bureau of Meteorology website.

Medical emergencies

In a medical emergency call 000 and ask for an ambulance.

New South Wales Ambulance Service - 000

The  New South Wales Ambulance Service website provides useful information about calling an ambulance and other useful health emergency contact numbers.

Healthlink: 1800 063 635

24 hour Health Service information line, providing public health, health promotion, community health, acute hospital, aged, mental health, rehabilitation and palliative care services.

National Security

Call the National Security Hotline – 1800 123 400 – to report any suspicious activity or information related to security or terrorism. For more information visit the  National Security Hotline website.

Road and traffic conditions

RMS (roads and maritime services)

To report traffic incidents and road conditions call 131 700.

For traffic information call 132 701.

The  RMS website has live traffic reports on its website, and provides information about road closures, changed traffic conditions, accidents and other events.

Tune in

Most local radio stations run regular reports of major traffic incidents. In an emergency you can tune in to your local radio station for updates on the situation.