World Mental Health Day 10/10
1 in 5 Australians are affected by mental illness but many don't seek help because of stigma. We can all do something to help shed a more positive light on mental health.
See beyond the stigma and make mental health more visible by making a #MentalHealthPromise. At home, at work, with family and friends, or in the wider community, we can all do something to help reduce stigma around mental illness and make way for more people to seek the help and support. Select a suggested promise, or write your own promise – it’s up to you. Check out the World Mental Health Day site to find out more and make a promise! Some ideas include:
- Disconnect to reconnect - consider how your tech habits might prevent you from connecting with those around you.
- Live in the present - being stuck in the past or worrying about the future can be bad for your mental health.
- Stay active - to increase fellings of well-being and reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Get an early night - getting enough sleep is good for your mins and body.
- Keep learning - at any stage of life it is a good way to keep the mind active.
- Get to know the neighbours - for reduced isolation and a stronger sense of community.
- Eat well - eat a healthy diet and limit caffeine and alcohol.
- Get outdoors - to improve your mood and reduce anxiety.
- Be kind - research shows that being kind to others boosts your happiness.
- Seek help - taking action may not be as hard as you think.