Our City of Opportunity opens up new ways of thinking and capability to solve the City’s challenges now and well into the future.
The Newcastle Smart City Strategy 2017-2021 is a plan outlining the measures City of Newcastle is driving to spearhead Newcastle’s transition to a smart and innovative City. It is one of a suite of City strategies delivering on the seven strategic directions requested by our community, and outlined in the Newcastle 2030 Community Strategic Plan.
The strategy represents a comprehensive and considered approach to transforming Newcastle as a smart city, with six program pillars detailing 22 strategic initiatives, which are further broken down into 108 individual actions.
- Smart Cities Awards 2019 – Newcastle wins Smart City of the Year (metropolitan).
- Newcastle Smart City Strategy awarded strategy of the year by Smart Cities Council Australia New Zealand.
- Smart Cities Council 2019 – Research and Innovation.
- Smart Cities Council 2019 (highly commended) – Partnerships.
- IDC Smart Cities Asia-Pacific Awards / Urban Planning and Land Use – Hunter Innovation Project Smart City Infrastructure.
- IDC Smart Cities Asia-Pacific Awards / Connected Vehicles – Smart Moves Newcastle Mobility Projects.
- Sustainability prize at the NSW Local Government Excellence in the Environment Awards.
- Sustainable Transport Award at the national Cities Power Partnership Awards.
- Energy Efficiency Award at the Inaugural Cities Power Partnership national awards.
- NSW Green Globe for Climate Change Leadership for their Energy Hunter program with Hunter Business Chamber. Over 350 participating businesses saved $1.1m in electricity costs and reduced annual electricity consumption by 5,600,000 kWh.
- Newcastle City App wins GOLD at the Gov Design Awards 2019 for Mobile Digital Experience.
- The IoT Sensor Lab wins GOLD award at Australia Good Design Awards in 2020.