Road Permits

Page hero image

We are aware that the community occasionally needs to temporarily use part of the road, parking lane or footpath for different purposes. There are a number of permits which allow various activities to occur in the road reserve in accordance with the Roads Act 1993 such as:

Overview of available permits

On-street (temporary) Parking Permit

A temporary parking permit is available to reserve parking bays on the road within Council LGA area. This type of permit is used when the required parking bays are signposted with parking restrictions (ie. 15 Minute, 1 hour, 2 hour, Loading Zone, etc). The permit allows the applicant/s to park in the parking bay for longer than the signposted time limit. A temporary parking permit cannot be issued in a No Parking or No Stopping zone.

On-street (temporary) parking permits are useful for the following purposes:

  1. Building/office maintenance works
  2. Extended loading and unloading activity
  3. Renovation works
  4. Events - bus/coach parking
  5. VIP's visit - to reserve space in advance
  6. Small charity fundraising event
  7. Weddings - to reserve space in advance
  8. Filming
  9. Removalist vans
  10. Placement of skip bins

Read Standard conditions for On-street (Temporary) Parking Permit

How to apply

You can find details of this permit and the application form on our webpage here

Road Occupancy Permit

A road occupancy permit is required for the use of part or all of a Council road (roadway or footpath) to carry out different type of works. Common reasons to obtain a road occupancy permit include:

  1. Road works in support of gas, watermain, sewer or electrical maintenance activities
  2. Concrete pour or major deliveries where safety is at risk
  3. Standing a crane or similar equipment to lift goods or conduct building maintenance
  4. Rail line maintenance
  5. Driveway construction which closes off part of the footpath to pedestrian traffic
  6. Construction adjoining a Council road reserve
  7. Enclosing part of the footpath to repair an awning or building façade (using removable fence or witches hats for short term work - less than one month duration).
  8. Footpath/road closure, the occupation of parking spaces, or occupation of the public road space during construction or removal of hoarding.

Read Standard conditions for close road / lane for construction purposes (PDF)

How to apply

You can find details of this permit and the application form on our webpage here road occupancy permit

Note: See also Hoarding Permit below for footpath/road closure, the occupation of parking spaces or occupation of the public road space duering construction or removal of hoarding.

Hoarding Permit

A hoarding is a temporary structure built to enclose a footway or part of the roadway for a building site, demolition area, excavation and building works for the purpose of providing public safety and to avoid damage to road infrastructure.

You can find details of this permit and the application form on our webpage here Hoarding Permit application form

Note: If the works only require enclosing the work area with temporary fencing or witches hats for a short period (less than one month), a road occupancy permit can be applied for rather than a hoarding permit.

Work Zone Permit

A work zone permit is a parking permit available for tradesmen, contractors or builders to carry out building/construction works in an area where there is a high parking demand.

It is generally only suitable for long-term works due to the cost and time required to install work zone signage. A signposted work zone is for the sole use of the applicant's (person/company) construction vehicles and allows parking for these vehicles and for the pick-up/set down of construction materials. Work zones are enforced by Council's Parking Compliance Officers and vehicles not related to the construction works can be issued with an infringement notice.

How to apply

Complete the application form and submit by email to for assessment. For extension of an existing Work Zone complete the Work Zone Extension Application Form and submit to

Please allow 15 working days for the processing of a work zone application.

Driveway Line marking

Due to the high demand for parking on some city streets, motorists sometimes try to squeeze cars into insufficient space near or between driveways. This practice causes inconvenience to residents as it restricts access to or from their property. One effective initiative has been the installation of driveway line markings 0.5m either side of a driveway to indicate to motorists to park behind the driveway line. Whilst these lines are not legally enforceable it has been shown that most motorist observe driveway line markings and park accordingly.

You can find details of this permit and the application form on our webpage here driveway line marking

Shipping Container Permit (construction purposes only)

Where there is limited available land at properties for building and/or renovation works, owners may apply to occupy part of the road for the placement of a shipping container for the short term storage of construction materials, in accordance with the Roads Act 1993, Section 138.

You can find details of this permit and the application form on our webpage here

Driveway and/or Road Opening Permit

Applications for works on public roads such as driveway construction, stormwater drainage connection and/or public utility openings are required under Section 138 of the Roads Act 1993.
Please refer to the Section 138 Application for driveway and/or a Road Opening Permit (Type 1).

Temporary Road Closures for Events

Council encourages various events in the Newcastle area to promote social cohesion and to build an inclusive community. For groups or other organisations wishing to organise an event or gathering requiring a temporary road closure or the use of the road reserve (including the footpath or verge), please see our events planning page for further information.

Place a Building Waste Container on a Public Roadway

Council issues approval for building waste containers to be placed on roadways including footpaths. A building waste container placed on a private property does not require consent from Council. If you wish to place a building waste container on the road or footpath please contact a supplier who will advise you if they are registered with Council. The registered supplier must then submit the application to Council on your behalf.

You can find details of this permit and the application form on our webpage here