Last updated 3 September 2020
If you have any COVID-19 symptoms you should stay at home, self-isolate and get tested.
If you live in or have visited any of the NSW local government areas (LGAs) or suburbs listed on the NSW Government website in the past two weeks, get tested even if you have mild COVID-19 symptoms such as a runny nose or scratchy throat.
If you have been to Victoria recently get tested even if you have mild COVID-19 symptoms such as a runny nose or scratchy throat.
Newcastle Venues are ready to welcome you back, with COVIDSafe trained venue and catering staff here to guide you through your planning for a safe and successful event.
Function rooms located within City Hall and the Fort Scratchley Function Centre are now available for hire, with measures in place to ensure the safety of attendees and staff.
These guidelines have been determined by the Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order (No. 4). Capacities are based on the one person per four square metre rule and all events and activities must be seated. Multiple spaces are available to ensure physical distancing can be maintained.
With a flexible booking and cancellation policy, as well as the ability to cope with the ongoing Public Health Order changes, we can assist with bringing your team back together to reconnect, or ensure your social event is celebrated in a safe and enjoyable way.
To discuss what's possible for your next event, contact the Newcastle Venues team on 02 4974 2166(*1) or send an enquiry through to email@example.com.
If you are looking to organise an outdoor event at another City of Newcastle public location, please enquire about other venues.
Tips for planning your event
Communicating with event attendees:
The safety of our community, customers and employees is our priority. Please protect yourself from the viruses:
- Clean your hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Ask attendees to stay home if they are feeling unwell
- Encourage attendees to bring their own notepad, pens and laptops
- Make attendees aware of the COVIDSafe app and its benefits to support contact tracing
Before you arrive at the venue:
- Consider allocated seating and encourage people to remain seated as much as possible to minimise co-mingling between seated groups
- Consider staggering the start and finish times of different sessions to minimise crowding around the venue
- Discuss options with our Newcastle Venues team
- Provide the venue with your attendee list (contact name, mobile numbers and email addresses)
When you arrive at the venue:
- Meet our Newcastle Venues team for a COVIDSafe site induction
- Conduct an event briefing with your attendees at the start of the event highlighting COVIDSafe requirements and general housekeeping
- Comply with the venue/ room capacities displayed
- Maintain 1.5m physical distancing at all times
If you would like to discuss your event requirements in more detail, our dedicated event coordinators would be pleased to assist you through this process. Please see below for other frequently asked questions.
We appreciate your patience as we navigate these changes and look forward to seeing you soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will it be safe to host my event?
A comprehensive COVID-19 Safety Plan has been developed for all City of Newcastle venues to protect the health of the community and staff. This includes:
- Frequent cleaning and sanitising of touchpoints, amenities and function rooms
- Dedicated entry and exit points
- COVIDSafe trained catering and venue teams
- A dedicated event coordinator to help plan your COVIDSafe event
- Room occupancy limits of one person per four square metres and a requirement for all events and activities to be seated
- Sanitising stations available for attendees' use
- Bottled water provided to attendees
Singage will be displayed at venues to remind guests to:
- Observe physical distancing measures
- Clean their hands with soap and water, or hand sanitiser
- Cover their nose and mouth when they cough or sneeze
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold and flu-like symptoms
- Stay at home if they are sick or have any symptoms
Can I have a cocktail style event?
We are not offering cocktail style events while the current Public Health Order restrictions are in place. We are happy to work with you to discuss other suitable options.
What changes will I experience in booking or planning my event?
Your COVIDSafe trained event coordinator will guide you through this process to ensure your event is delivered safely and successfully.
We will provide you with our COVIDSafe plan and take you through it in detail.
Please note we will require a copy of your event attendance list prior to the event. This will be securely stored for 28 days in accordance with the Public Health Order.
Can I still have catering at my event?
Absolutely, your event coordinator will discuss this with you to work out the most suitable option based on your requirements. Please note that all functions in Newcastle City Hall that have a cash bar will be EFTPOS only. This will ensure the highest COVIDSafe practices are maintained.
Can I have a wedding ceremony at Fort Scratchley?
Wedding ceremonies at Fort Scratchley can occur after the site is closed to the public, from 4.00pm each day. Standard venue hire fees apply.
Can I arrange to see the available spaces prior to my event?
Yes, the team will be delighted to show you through the venues. Please call us on 02 4974 2166(*1) to schedule an appointment.
What are the revised room capacities?
Our event coordinators will work with you to determine the most appropriate space and set up for your function. Current capacities are determined by the one person per four square metre rule based on Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order (No. 4).
Download COVID-19 Venue Information for Hirers (PDF).