Newcastle 500 Brings in Record Airline Numbers

17 Dec 2018

City of Newcastle welcomes the news of a record number of passengers travelling into Newcastle Airport on the first day of this year's Newcastle 500 Supercars event.
 
Newcastle Airport has reported more than 5,200 passengers on Friday 23 November, an 11 per cent increase on last year and a new record - despite bushfires that impacted flights.

Aerial-Newcastle-500_2018_web_inside.jpg
More than 2 million people watched on TV as the 2018 Virgin Australia Supercars champion was crowned in our city and Supercars also recently reported a record breaking year thanks to significant increases in viewing audiences across television and digital platforms for the Newcastle 500.
 
These excellent results speak to the success of the event and position us as a destination city with a growing reputation for hosting great events, said Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes.
 
"It's been a massive year for growth in the Newcastle tourism industry," said the Lord Mayor.
 
"Following on the incredible success of our second Supercars race, the City this week announced a landmark deal bringing the first five-star hotel to Newcastle by 2020.
 
"Our City's revitalisation is tantalisingly close to completion and by early next year the new light rail transport system will be up and running.
 
"We are clearly firing on all cylinders in attracting visitors to Newcastle, with incredibly popular major events, a greater selection of flights in to our airport, high quality accommodation and improved public transport in the CBD.
 
"The powerful combination indicates we are a destination city poised for significant economic growth in our tourism sector."