Development Application Process

The development process can be a complex process. It is recommended that you utilise the services of professionals to assist you with the preparation of your plans and or application.

The main steps consist of:

  1.  Prelodgement
  2.  Lodgement
  3.  Submitting an Application to Council?
  4.  Notification and Public Comments
  5.  Assessment
  6.  Determination
  7.  Post DA

In each of these steps there are a number of tasks that should be completed. You are advised to make yourself familiar with all requirements.

The information below outlines these stages and where they occur within the Development process.

  1. Development Application - Determine if Development Consent is required. Lodge your application
  2. Development Consent - Council grants Development Consent subject to conditions
  3. Roads Act - The Development Consent may require separate approval for works/structures within the road reserve, such as driveway crossings (known as a Section 138 application).
  4. Construction and/ or Subdivision Certificate - Obtain any required Construction and/or Subdivision Certificate - Make sure you satisfy all conditions required prior to the issue of the Certificate
  5. Appoint Builder (Principal Contractor) - Sign a contract with a licensed builder and make sure the builder has proper insurance in place
  6. Home Warranty Insurances - Obtain a copy of the builder's home warranty insurance for your development (if residential work). This must be given to the Principal Certifying Authority (PCA)
  7. Appoint Building Inspector Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) - Council or an Accredited Certifier maybe appointed to do the building inspections and monitor compliance with the development consent. If you are an Owner Builder obtain a permit from the Department of Fair Trading
  8. Notice of Commencement - Complete the notice of commencement form and lodge it with Council before work commences
  9. Building or Subdivision Work - Comply with all consent conditions
  10. Critical Stage Inspection by PCA - Make sure you give the required notice to your PCA to allow for required building inspections to be done
  11. Fire Safety Certificates (if required) - Complete a Fire Safety Certificate and attached certificates for all essential fire safety measures to it. (Not required for single dwelling houses)
  12. Occupation Certificate Application - Make application for the Occupation Certificate and attach to it the Fire Safety Certificate
  13. Occupation Certificate - Do not occupy the building or any part of the building without at least an Interim Occupation Certificate
  14. Annual Fire Safety Statement - The building owner(s) must make sure that they maintain essential fire safety measures and certify them annually (Not required for single dwelling houses)
Note - The above information does not include all possible requirements and should be used as a guide only.

Development and Building Advisory Service

We provide a free advisory service to the public to help with basic enquiries on the development and building process and Council’s planning controls.

Enquiries can be made by:
  • Calling 4974 2000 between 7:00am and 6:00pm
  • Visiting Council’s City Administration Centre between 8.30am and 4:00pm. You will need to book an appointment - call 4974 2000.
Appointments are available in twenty minute allotments with Council's Duty Officer to assist you with general advice about preparing a development application and to review your application when you are ready to lodge your application. To ensure you make the most of your time with the Duty Offer, it is recommended that you review the LEP maps applicable to the site and relevant sections of the DCP.  To make an appointment call 4974 2000. For more detailed information you are advised to access our  Pre-Development Applications Services.

If you are seeking free advice on the law and how it relates to you and your neighbour the Legal Information Access Centre has produced an easy to understand guide to the different areas of law that are involved in neighbourhood issues and disputes.  It is titled  'Neighbours and law'.  It covers areas that commonly cause problems between neighbours including: dividing fences, retaining walls, overhanging branches, animals and noise.

Note: For every property transaction you make, you need to think about tax implications. To help you to determine property related GST obligations, refer to the  GST and Property Guide on the Australian Taxation Office website.