City of Newcastle Bulk Waste Service gives households two options for disposing of their bulky waste items:
- Request a self haul voucher to take your items to Summerhill Waste Management Centre, or
- Use the on-demand booking system to organise a pick-up from your kerbside.
Please book in advance - see waiting periods below.
You can request two vouchers or two kerbside pick-ups in any rolling 12-month period*, or one of each option, to dispose of up to two cubic metres of domestic waste. Two cubic metres is equivalent to a 1.2 metre by 1.8 metre (6'x4') trailer loaded just under one metre high.
To use either of these services, complete our bulk waste service request form or phone 02 4974 2000.
* For example, if you booked a service in February 2018 and another service in September 2018, you will be entitled to your next service from February 2019.
Conditions of service
Only the person(s) residing at the property, be they tenant or owner-occupier, can organise a kerbside bulk waste collection or a self-haul voucher on behalf of that residence. Special conditions apply for residents in multi-unit dwellings and social housing (please see below for more information).
Each eligible rateable residential property has an allowance of up to two services in any 12-month period. For example, if you booked a service in April 2018 and again in September 2018, you can book your next service from April 2019 and a subsequent service from September 2019.
If you request a self-haul voucher, you must present proof of occupancy (e.g. driver licence) when you arrive at the weighbridge at Summerhill Waste Management Centre that demonstrates that you reside at the property address printed on the voucher. Vouchers expire three months from the date that they are issued and cannot be renewed. The conditions of use are stated on the voucher.
Self-haul vouchers: Please allow up to seven working days to receive your voucher. Vouchers may arrive sooner than this, but are dependent on Australia Post delivery timeframes of 2-6 business days from the day after posting, although this can vary depending on the destination.
All vouchers are posted on the day that they are issued and are posted directly to the property for which they are requested. If you have not received your voucher within 14 days, please contact us on 02 4974 2000 or email us at email@example.com
If urgent, Vouchers may also be requested and issued in person at the City Administration Centre (for single house dwellings only). Please note: Vouchers will not be emailed to residents - no exceptions will be made.
Kerbside collections: Please allow up to 12 weeks during busy peak periods. Demand for bulk waste collections increases sharply around holiday times, especially in the lead up to Christmas. Residents are encouraged to book much further in advance if wishing to arrange for a kerbside bulk waste collection during these periods.
If you live in a multi-unit dwelling
If you live in a multi-unit dwelling, a communal kerbside bulk waste collection will be arranged for the entire complex. Please ask your strata manager / body corporate to contact us to make a booking. The managing body will then be responsible for notifying all residents within the complex of their scheduled collection date.
Social housing (Housing NSW) tenants
Multi-unit dwellings: We make advanced arrangements with Housing NSW to provide two kerbside collections to eligible public and community housing complexes within a 12-month period. Combined collections are provided to each complex on the same day. Please contact your liaison officer to find out your next collection dates.
Single dwellings: If you live in stand-alone public or community housing, please contact us directly to make a booking. Eligibility criteria apply.
Kerbside collection - ACCEPTABLE materials
- Mattresses, beds, lounges, small items of furniture, toys
- 1.5m lengths of carpet/linoleum (rolled and tied)
- Whitegoods, such as washing machines, dryers and dishwashers, but excluding items containing refrigerant gases (e.g. fridges, freezers and air-conditioning units) unless certified as de-gassed by an ARC authorised business (see Fridge/freezer and air-conditioning unit disposal options below)
- Household appliances and e-waste, such as TVs, computers, vacuum cleaners, microwaves and handheld kitchen appliances. Please note: to ensure e-waste is recycled, residents are encouraged to use the free e-waste drop-off at Summerhill Waste Management Centre. Conditions apply
- Tools, small car parts and scrap metal products
- Tree branches under 100mm in diameter (no other types of green waste).
- All items must be able to be safely and reasonably handled by two people
- Individual items must not exceed 50kg or 1.5m in length
- Loose items must be tied or boxed.
Kerbside collection - UNACCEPTABLE materials
- Green waste (e.g. grass clippings, leaves), with the exception of tree branches less than 100mm in diameter
- Fridges and freezers that have not been de-gassed by an ARC authorised business (for more information and alternative disposal options, see Fridge/freezer and air-conditioning unit disposal options below)
- Air-conditioning units containing refrigerant gases (for disposal options, see below)
- Hazardous/poisonous solid or liquid waste e.g. chemicals, paint, motor oil, batteries, gas bottles
- Concrete rubble, dirt or building construction waste
- Household rubbish and recyclables
- Commercial waste
- Tyres and wheels
- Any glass items or mirrors
- Quantities in excess of two cubic metres
- Items weighing over 50kg.
Self-haul voucher - ACCEPTABLE materials
- All items accepted via the kerbside collection service (as outlined above)
- Green waste, including grass clippings, prunings and branches
- Fridges, freezers and air-conditioners
- Car batteries and gas bottles
- Building waste
- Household rubbish and recyclables
- Tyres and wheels (maximum of five)
- Glass items, mirrors and windows (broken or whole).
- Up to 100kg of asbestos only. Once you have received your self-haul voucher, you must pre-book asbestos waste 24 hours prior to disposal on 4985 6600. Bookings can be made on weekdays between 8.30am and 4pm. Normal charges will apply for quantities above 100kg*.
- Loads of asbestos waste over
100kg (including asbestos contaminated soil) or more than 10 square metres of asbestos sheeting must be registered with the NSW Environment Protection Authority, using the online WasteLocate
transporting them to Summerhill. More information about transporting asbestos and the requirements for using WasteLocate is available on the EPA website
Self-haul voucher - UNACCEPTABLE materials
- Hazardous/poisonous solid or liquid wastes e.g. chemicals - with the exception of items that are accepted through the Community Recycling Centre and asbestos waste (as outlined under Option 2 above).
- Quantities in excess of two cubic metres or the equivalent of a 1.8m x 1.2m (6'x4') trailer loaded under one metre high.
Stop before you drop!
It's up to all of us to stop waste going to landfill and look after our environment. Before using the bulk waste service to dispose of your items, have you considered:
- Repairing them?
- Reusing them for another purpose or salvaging parts for future use?
- Giving items in good, usable condition to friends or family, or donating them to local charities or op shops?
- Selling them, or listing them for free collection - via online trading sites (such as Gumtree, Ebay and Trading Post), local newspaper classifieds, or by holding a garage sale?
Fridge/freezer and air-conditioning unit disposal options
City of Newcastle no longer collects items that contain refrigerant gases, such as fridges, freezers and air-conditioners, as part of the bulk waste kerbside service, unless they have been certified as de-gassed. This is because these gases can contribute to global warming and ozone layer depletion if released in an uncontrolled manner.
De-gassing of refrigerators, freezers and air-conditioners can only be undertaken by a qualified technician that holds a Restricted Refrigerant Recovery Licence through the Australian Refrigeration Council (ARC) or businesses that hold a Restricted Refrigerant Trading Authorisation, and any de-gassed items need to be formally certified as such prior to collection. The licensed technician will 'recover' the refrigerant and forward it a dedicated facility approved to destroy refrigerants in an environmentally friendly manner. It is an offence for anyone else to handle fluorocarbon refrigerants (heavy fines apply). You can use the ARC authorised business search to find authorised businesses in your area.
Fridges and freezers can be disposed of in a number of other ways, including:
- Free disposal at Summerhill Waste Management Centre using a self-haul bulk waste voucher (available in place of a kerbside collection).
- Drop them off at Summerhill and be charged the applicable fee.
- Taking them to a local metal recycler, who may accept it at no charge, and may also pay you for the items.
- If you are unable to self-haul, you can talk to a local metal recycler, who may be able to arrange a collection for you (charges may apply).