Stage One - Streetscape Plan
The East End is being reimagined. Paved footpaths and laneways, new outdoor eating and retail opportunities respond to the evolving charter of this precinct.
This Plan complements Iris Capital’s current redevelopment of the David Jones building and other nearby projects.
- Hunter Street Mall being returned to a high street between the intersection with Scott Street to the west, and the intersection with Newcomen Street to the east.
- Market Square located at the southern end of Market Street
- Side streets including Perkins, Wolfe, Thorn, Market, Morgan and Newcomen Streets
- Laneways and stairs between King and Hunter Streets
This Plan also features:
- Wider footpaths for outdoor dining
- Seperated cycleways to Perkins Street and Hunter Street
- New landscaping and a traffic closure to help activate two long-dormant laneways
- New landscaping at the old Mall bus stop at the junction of Hunter and Scott Street and an overhaul for the stretch of footpath between Perkins and Brown streets.
- A Melbourne laneway-style development closing Keightley Street to through traffic (currently subject to DA determination)
View the City Centre Project Updates