Through our Sort & Save service at Summerhill Waste Management Centre, Newcastle households can recycle these items at no charge, if they sort them before arrival:
- Cardboard: Clean, dry, flattened cardboard. No waxed cardboard. No packaging material (e.g. polystyrene foam, foam packing beads/peanuts, plastic wrap, box straps etc) or excessive tape.
- Scrap metal: Including BBQs, bikes, car parts, hot water heaters and white goods (fees apply for fridges, freezers and air-conditioners).
- Clean, untreated wood: Dry, solid timber that has not been painted, stained or treated. Please see Clean Wood Wastes for detail.
- Soft plastic: Clean, flexible plastic, such as plastic bags, packaging, mail satchels and bubble wrap. No food waste, strapping or tape.
- E-waste: such as small appliances, computers, TVs and electric tools. Maximum of 10 items per visit. Please see E-Waste for a list of accepted items.
- Recyclable food and beverage containers: Glass bottles and jars, aluminium and steel cans, plastic bottles and containers.
Through Sort & Save, you can:
✓ Save money – the more we can recover, the less you’ll pay.
✓ Save time – quickly unload different materials at the designated collection points.
✓ Save our environment – keep waste out of landfill.
You can use the free service as often as you like during Summerhill's standard opening hours. No booking is required.
How do I sort my waste load?
Sorting means separating items into ‘like’ groups in your car, ute or trailer (e.g. putting scrap metal in a separate pile to cardboard), rather than having them combined.
Taking a little extra time to pack your waste items before you leave home can make a big difference to how much you’ll pay during your visit. It helps our team members to quickly identify what materials can be recovered from your waste load free of charge, meaning they can charge you the lowest applicable disposal fees for any remaining items.
What if I don’t sort my waste?
If you have a mixed waste load, you will still unpack your waste undercover at our Resource Recovery Centre, however you will be charged regular disposal fees. This covers the cost for our staff and equipment to extract recyclable materials from the mixed waste, plus any disposal costs for materials that can’t be salvaged.
Is the service for Newcastle households only?
The service is available at no charge for Newcastle households. However, non-residents and commercial customers who sort their waste can make use of our source separated fee structure.
Terms and conditions
- All customers must wear fully enclosed shoes (no sandals or thongs). If you wear inappropriate footwear, you will not be permitted to exit your vehicle to unload your waste.
- The Sort & Save service is available at no charge for Newcastle residents only. Proof of residency (e.g. driver licence) is required.
- Residents must sort items prior to arrival to drop off applicable items at no charge.
- Up to 10 items of e-waste is permitted per visit.
- Regular fees apply for unsorted (mixed waste) loads, waste items not listed above, and for non-residents and commercial customers. Differential pricing is available for source separated loads.