Summerhill Waste Management Centre
- All services at Summerhill Waste Management Centre are operating as usual, with the exception of the Summerhill Community Recycling Centre (CRC) which is temporarily closed until further notice.
- Customers should consider whether disposal of waste is necessary before visiting. Please do not visit the site if you are unwell.
- All customers are required to adhere to the relevant NSW Public Health Order.
- All customers are required to wear a face mask and check-in using the QR code or the manual sign-in sheet. Cashless payments are preferred.
- Please visit our COVID-19 Changes to our services page for the most up-to-date information regarding the operation of Summerhill Waste Management Centre.
Summerhill Waste Management Centre is a solid waste landfill managed by City of Newcastle. The site is licensed by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) to receive a wide variety of 'General Solid Waste (Putrescible and Non-putrescible) and Special Waste'. Please refer to Part 1 of the NSW EPA (2014) Waste Classification Guidelines for the definition of acceptable waste types.
Please note: Special Wastes and/or waste deemed offensive / difficult have specific disposal requirements. Please refer to the individual fact sheets for further information.
Our waste collection vehicles bring Newcastle household general waste and green waste to Summerhill. The general waste is securely disposed of in a lined landfill. The green waste is processed, in a separate area on-site, into mulch. This mulch is then used for landscaping and rehabilitation works off-site. (Please note: Newcastle household recycling bins are serviced by a contractor and delivered to an offsite recycling processor).
We are committed to providing waste minimisation and recycling solutions to the community and ensuring the long term sustainability of our waste management operations. A fee structure is in place at Summerhill to encourage visitors to separate their wastes into the various sorting bays at the Small Vehicle Receival Centre, helping us to recover a wide range of items — including building materials, green waste, whitegoods and electrical waste — for reuse or recycling into new products.
Several on-site safety procedures, such as wearing enclosed footwear and ensuring children and pets stay inside vehicles, are in place for everyone’s protection and must be adhered to at all times.
Fees and Payment
Our pricing structure at Summerhill is designed to encourage the recovery of materials for reuse or recycling.
What can I take to Summerhill?
Some wastes are at prohibited at Summerhill, and others have strict disposal requirements, including asbestos, dusty waste, dead animals and synthetic mineral fibres. Find out more.
Sort & Save
You can save money, time and the environment by sorting recyclable materials before your visit to Summerhill.
Clean Wood Wastes
Minimise your waste disposal costs by separating clean wood from other wastes before you arrive at Summerhill.
Procedures on Site
Plan your visit to Summerhill by understanding the weighbridge ticket system and precautions to keep you and your family safe.
In accordance with section 66(6) of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act), Summerhill Waste Management Centre's environmental performance monitoring data is available for the community to view online.