Access Advisory Committee
The City of Newcastle's Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2019, Strategy 4, reads as 'Establish partnerships which address community wide barriers to access and inclusion' and action (d) is 'Establish a community advisory committee in the next term of Council'.
By Council resolution on 24 October 2017, approval was given to proceed with an Expression of Interest process to establish a Disability Advisory Committee (Now known as Access and Inclusion Advisory Committee). The functions of this committee are outlined in the Committee Charter.
Objectives and Responsibilities
- To enhance the delivery of Council's commitment to the Disability Inclusion Action Plan 2016-2019
- To provide strategic advice and guidance to Council and Council Officers in relation to making Newcastle a highly inclusive community
- To engage people with disabilities, their carers and disability service providers in Local Government
- To discuss localised concerns about barriers experienced by people with disabilities
- To support Council in a manner that is consistent with Council values
- To submit an annual report to the elected Council on the operation and actions of this Committee.
View the Committee Charter (pdf).
NOTICE - COVID-19 Response
The safety of our communities, customers and employees is our top priority. All non-essential in-person Advisory Committee meetings are cancelled or postponed until the current NSW Government Public Health Orders are lifted. We appreciate your ongoing support at this time.
Meetings are held every 2 months for a period up to 2 hours, currently between 4:30pm and 6:30pm.
Meeting dates for 2020
- Wednesday 4 March 2020
- Wednesday 3 June 2020 (Postponed pending Government Advice)
- Wednesday 2 September 2020 (Postponed pending Government Advice)
- Wednesday 2 December 2020 (Postponed pending Government Advice)
The charter outlines that the Committee Membership will consist of 3 Councillor Representatives, 3 Organisational Representatives from community organisations specialising in service provision and/or advocacy services in the Disability Sector, and 3 Community Members who have live experience of disabilities and/or are carers or family members of people with disabilities.
In light of the applications received during the Expression of Interest process for the committee, a decision was made to increase the Community Membership from 3 to 5 positions resulting in the Access and Inclusion Committee now having 11 members.
- Cr Matthew Byrne (Councillor representative)
- Cr Carol Duncan (Councillor representative)
- Cr Andrea Rufo (Councillor representative)
- Nathan Burford (Organisational representative-Guide Dogs NSW/ACT)
- Joseph Popov (Organisational representative-Community Disability Alliance Hunter)
- Tracy Walker (Organisational representative-Maroba Communities)
- Chris Leishman (Community representative)
- Norm MacPherson (Community representative)
- Kirsty Russell (Community representative)
- Eliot Shaw (Community representative)
- Margaret Wood (Community representative)
DIAC Agenda 20/02/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Agenda 17/04/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Agenda 19/06/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Agenda 21/08/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Minutes 20/02/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Minutes 17/04/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Minutes 19/06/2019 (pdf)
DIAC Minutes 21/08/2019 (pdf)
The committee is required to produce an Annual Report on it's activities to the Council each year.