Newcastle Ocean Baths
Newcastle Ocean Baths are over 100 years old and needed substantial upgrades to the pavilions, pools, and promenades to continue to provide benefit to the community.
City of Newcastle has committed to retaining the aesthetic of the Inter-war striped classical / art deco façade of the baths as well as the iconic bleacher seating, while also improving public amenity through provision of more shade, disability access, seating, and new public changerooms with hot water showers.
The revitalisation of Newcastle Ocean Baths is being delivered in two stages:
Stage 1: Pools and promenade areas
We have prioritised upgrades to the pool area to improve safety and accessibility for all users. This includes remediation to the pools, lower promenade and pump upgrades. After considerable engagement with the community, the final design for Stage 1 was finalised in August 2021 and incorporates the art-deco inspired circular stairs, bleachers and retains the boardwalk.
Get ready to enjoy the warmth of the sun, the sand under your feet, and the refreshing water of the Baths this summer - construction of Stage One is nearing completion, with the pool re-opening for swimming on Thursday 21 December.
A big thank you to all who attended our return to swim celebration.
Construction will continue at the southern end of the site, with minor works near the Canoe Pool set to be complete in early 2024.
The existing change facilities located in the southern pavilion building have reopened in line with the recommencement of swimming. The upgrade of these facilities is part of Stage Two of the project, which is currently in early design phase. The change rooms and public amenities are open from 5.30am to dusk.
Lifeguard patrol hours are between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Sunday, except during
periods of pool cleaning. The schedule for pool cleaning is available here.
Watch a short animation, below, to view key features of the final design.
The $9.5 million recovered from the sale of CN's Fred Ash building is helping fund the Stage One upgrade, along with $3 million in funding from the NSW Government’s Public Spaces Legacy Program.
Stage 2: Pavilions
In 2023 we asked the community for feedback on preliminary floorplan options for these spaces. Visit our Have Your Say page to find out more.
In late 2023 we appointed an experienced Principal Design Consultant to deliver the concept design of Stage Two. There will be further opportunities for the community and our Community Reference Group to provide feedback during this stage.
View our Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) to learn more about the Newcastle Ocean Baths revitalisation.
The community is reminded that the entire site is inaccessible for the duration of the construction period. We ask that for your own safety, you please adhere to site signage and follow instructions of site personnel.
- December 2023 - Splash into summer at reopened Newcastle Ocean Baths
- December 2023 - Swimmers to return to Newcastle Ocean Baths
- November 2023 - Newcastle Ocean Baths pump tests signal progress toward swim-ready water
- September 2023 - City of Newcastle takes next step towards final stage of Newcastle Ocean Baths upgrade
- May 2023 - Have your say on the revitalisation of Newcastle Ocean Baths
- December 2022 - Coastal projects take shape heading into 2023
- November 2022 - Newcastle Ocean Baths turns 100
- February 2022 - Newcastle Ocean Baths upgrade to begin 14 March
- October 2021 - Residents and visitors set for one more summer splash before Newcastle Ocean Baths' upgrade
- August 2021 - Newcastle Ocean Baths pool design finalised
- May 2021 - City develops concept design for Newcastle Ocean Baths pool upgrade following community feedback
- March 2021 - Preliminary design for Newcastle Ocean Baths Stage 1 shows improvements to access and safety
- December 2020 - Principal design consultant appointed for Newcastle Ocean Baths pool upgrade