Return and Earn
'Return and Earn' is a NSW Government initiative that offers a rewarding way to recycle drink containers.
You can earn 10 cents for each eligible bottle, can and carton you return, while helping to reduce litter in our environment.
Most beverage containers between 150ml and 3 litres that are often consumed 'on the go' are accepted*. There are over 620 return points across NSW.
How can I participate?
- Collect empty drink bottles, cans and cartons
- Check the label to see if there's a '10 cent' refund mark
- Take eligible containers to a return point.
To receive a refund, all drink containers must:
- be empty
- be in good condition (not crushed or broken)
- have the label attached.
Please leave lids on the containers—they'll be recycled too.
What isn't included?
The Return and Earn scheme is designed to help reduce litter and encourage people to recycle drink containers commonly used when away from home.
Drink containers not accepted for a refund* include:
- Plain milk bottles or cartons
- Flavoured milk containers 1 litre and over
- Pure juice containers 1 litre and over (comprising of at least 90% pure juice)
- Glass wine and spirit bottles
- Cordial and juice concentrate bottles
- Cask wines and sachets
- Health tonic bottles
You can use the online container search to check if an item is eligible for a refund.
*The NSW Government is proposing to expand the scheme, which would see almost all beverage containers between 150ml and 3 litres (excluding plain milk bottles and health tonics) eligible for a refund. You can find out more and have your say on the proposal via the NSW EPA website.
Can I still use my yellow lid bin?
Yes. You can continue to place empty, recyclable drink containers—regardless of their eligibility for a refund—in your kerbside yellow lid bin as usual.
Drink containers placed in your yellow lid bin will still be recycled, however, you won't receive a 10 cent refund.
How can I find out more?
More information about the scheme is available on the Return and Earn website.