Most marine flares have a use-by date of three years and must be replaced before their expiry date.
Because flares contain explosive matter, it's important that you dispose of them safely and legally.
The NSW Government runs a free mobile collection program for expired flares during peak boating season, with temporary collection points set up at boat ramps. The next collections in Newcastle will take place as follows:
Stockton North Boat Ramp (Fullerton Street, Stockton)
- Tuesday, 11 January 2022, 3.30-5.30pm
- Saturday, 23 April 2022, 3.30-5.30pm
Carrington Boat Ramp (Pat Jordon Oval, Tully Street, Carrington)
- Wednesday, 12 January 2022, 7.30-10.30am
- Sunday, 24 April 2022, 7.30-10.30am
- Friday, 10 June 2022, 7.30-10.30am
Please check the Transport for NSW website and the NSW Maritime Facebook page for current information, and for collection dates at boat ramps in other local government areas.